Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA28R G-EGVA missing UK to Le Touquet (and AAIB discussion)

Their currency was also just about non-existent. No flying for quite a long time, and then just enough to make this flight legal.

I very much doubt they even had the ‘unofficial instrument skills’ that some of the more experienced VFR-only PPLs have.

Last Edited by Graham at 20 Oct 11:16
EGLM & EGTN

The guy ahead of them (part of the group) did not blink an eye in that while under VFR, barely 20deg turn, the other guy descended to 1500ft, both safely landed in LeTouquet…in the other hand they went up to Alpha airspace base climbing into that vertical cloud

I guess it’s all about how much you invest in your currency, training and understanding your aircraft equipment…instrument rating comes later

I used to fly on PPL (no IMCR or CBIR) but I had no issues flying VFR gliders in clouds, or flying SVFR, or flying ILS/GPS to minima using auto-pilot or by hand…if I have to as there was no single doubts about safety

Putting legalities of VFR in IMC aside, it does not cost much to do few hours with an IRI in weather or fly with other experienced IFR pilots to know about risks & limits and what is inside, one may learn one or two things on how to deal with it…going with zero currency with another 12h/year PPL into clouds is not a great idea, especially if it’s their first time in TCU !

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Oct 11:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Putting legalities of VFR in IMC aside, it does not cost much to do few hours with an IRI in weather or fly with other experienced IFR pilots to know about risks & limits and what is inside, one may learn one or two things on how to deal with it…going with zero currency with another 12h/year PPL into clouds is not a great idea, especially if it’s their first time in TCU !

I agree. A small investment to make. I would say that most VFR pilots have had the experience of getting into IMC or marginal VMC in their career. And the ‘180 degrees turn in simulated VMC’ as part of the PPL course is insufficient. Get into a real cloud, with an IRI, preferably turbulent!

Last Edited by aart at 20 Oct 11:52
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Especially with the UK IMCR being very accessible, and lots of Brits routinely flying “VFR” in IMC for simple practical reasons (difficult airspace, lots of Class A, poor ATC service OCAS, etc).

On the mainland, instrument capability is much less accessible.

What you can’t do anything about though is very low currency. When you get down to 10hrs/year all you can do safely is a short hop to the aeroclub next door on a nice day.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Final report is out on this one.

No real exploration of whether the 1000fpm climb was intentional or caused by convective weather. 1000fpm is quite a rate of climb for an Arrow. No consideration of W&B either so hard to judge if it’s realistic in normal flight.

Does mention the low level Danger Areas and the Class A above but refrains from going into anything about whether that might have had an impact on decision making.

As time goes on, I tend to feel that a “dont explore issues which reflect badly on the whole system” mindset is taking root at the AAIB.

EGLM & EGTN

Does mention the low level Danger Areas and the Class A above but refrains from going into anything about whether that might have had an impact on decision making.

I know of only one case where a VFR pilot returning from The Channel Islands who was getting into trouble in IMC at the limit of 5,5000’, as a last resort, requested whether he could climb into Class A. This was granted and he was carefully monitored by ATC. I believe it saved his life.
PPL/VFR pilots are so indoctrinated to never go into Controlled Airspace e.g. a MOR for a few feet infringement etc that they are scared of doing, or asking, for a practical and safe resolution with dire, fateful, consequences.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I think no country’s AIB will criticise something basic about their system, charts etc.

I think their thinking in this case would have been that if they declare a mayday, climb into A, generate a lot of ATC mayhem, have a pleasant day at le Touquet, fly back home, would have caused their balls to be nailed to the desk of you know who at the CAA

Administrator

Is it only UK staff being so frightened of ATC/CAA? If I feel threatened by bad weather on my route, I simply ask for avoiding. If I don’t get it, I declare my intentions and do whatever is required to remain safe.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Flying under the LTMA on a UK licence the single biggest concern I have is airspace. I find I can end up worrying more about avoiding an infringement than weather avoidance, traffic lookout and passenger comfort.

I am much less concerned away from London when still in the UK as I know I can ask for entry into airspace if I need it without causing as much “fuss”. Some of this is licensing – I’m not allowed into class A as IFR.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

No Class A as VFR or IFR.

Unless you hold an IR, in which you could go IFR (but in reality would probably not get a “popup” IFR clearance before you exhausted your fuel; the UK is not set up for those in the LTMA) it has to be a mayday declaration.

In this case the CAA would argue that you should have done a 180. I think the pilot would have been punished by some “training with a CFI”, as a minimum, and possibly having to re-do a PPL skills test to drive the point home.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message