Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IO-470 engine failure. Textbook emergency.

10 Posts

Good weather helped. Normally Hillsoboro WX isn’t always that cooperative.

I can see my old office as he is circling to land – he was blessed with the weather – I lived there for 6 years and this time of the year its normally a neverending parade of OVC 600 and RAIN -

Well done. Looks like the pilot had some gliding skills. In the end underestimated the higher sink rate of a SEP, and had to turn quite sharp, but other than that close to perfect workout

Germany

Was also very fortunate to be at 9K with a long runway just 6 miles dead ahead.
That’s probably much more common in the USA that it would be here!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

UdoR wrote:

In the end underestimated the higher sink rate of a SEP

Not sure he underestimated it, my guess is that he actually traded altitude for speed for its base turn, knowing the runway is sufficiently long, and aimed for the threshold. This is something we may forget while we aim for best glide and could lead to LOC before the runway. for this one, the best glide was surely not needed.

LFMD, France

The photos at the end – wow.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

The IO-470 is normally quite bullet proof, will be interesting to get details on the history of the engine and recent maintenance. Am guessing it’s an old engine and may have had a crack near a cylinder mount.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The video is gone…what a pity. Then this thread has gone obsolete….

Germany

UdoR wrote:

The video is gone…what a pity. Then this thread has gone obsolete….

Nope, it’s still there. I just tried and it played.

The IO470 was broken up totally by Cyl. #1 and 2. Case split open on both sides. What was that – bad connecting rod ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message