Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maintenance induced catastrophic failure?

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Err, yes, that is the video which triggered this thread.

I made a new thread about it and didn’t see this one, so my post got moved into here.

United Kingdom

Yes – the invisible mod has been at it again

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wow. I watched the video and at first I thought he was returning back to the same runway …with flaps 20 and Ldg down and thought…no way! Then realized the short LH turn did not match up and it was actually a t/o on 30 with ldg on 08 so “only” a LH 220 deg turn…still I wish I could maintain the cool the way this pilot did if I ever was on that situation. You possibly need a bit more height (or gliding ability) if returning to same runway.

The guy does tell more of the story on his other videos where you can see some troubleshooting on his electric gear system. The shop was rather unkind on his landing gear pump during tests but at least avoided an impending engine failure by detecting damage to the lifters and elsewhere. Too bad the engine OH went bad…makes me glad my TSIO520 engine is 1000 h since OH.

Three main lessons to me:

• Beware of infant mortality and post maintenance flights: expect things to go wrong
  • Practice engine out
  • Look at those lifters regularly on Contis…cheap insurance! This engine was OHd at only 500hrs. Other similar stories herein!
Antonio
LESB, Spain

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Has anyone got a clue what the PFD was doing shortly before touchdown? Why would it go XX there?
Likely as the vacuum pump is driven by the propeller – best guess…

WHAT!!

The G500 attitude indicator is run by the vacuum pump???!!!

One of the main reasons for installing Glass cockpits is to remove the unreliable Vacuum systems.

The only real reason why the G500 would shut down like this is the fact that the Electro Hydraulic power pump sucks about 30 Amps when dropping the gear.
A good battery would be able to take this spike, and still keep the G500 above its voltage limit.

That plane (and operator) smells a bit fishy. Its obviously in a pretty bad shape based on all the YouTube videos he is posting, claiming “bad luck”.
He could probably need a new mechanic and some guidance on how a plane should be maintained.
BWTHDIK

spirit49
LOIH

Great piece of piloting. His immediate reaction was to pull back on the stick, but he overcame it milliseconds later to get the nose down and into the turn back. If the engine had failed 5 or 10 seconds later he would have ended up in the drainage canal. Also, notice that he could not have come anywhere near making the ‘miracle turn’ back to the runway of departure (30/12). Luckily there was runway 08 right there off his left hand nose down turn.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Great piece of piloting. His immediate reaction was to pull back on the stick,

Was it really? Yes he survived, and I agree he made best of a difficult situation. Could use it as a good training video of the errors.

1. Shoulder harnesses unused.
2. The Impossible turn when a nice field was sitting perfectly at 30 degrees right off the nose.
3. Putting the gear down way early.
4. Not much ATC interaction.

And in fairness to him, Aviate, navigate and communicate.

Buckerfan wrote:

Luckily there was runway 08 right there

Exactly and the word is luckily. At that point it is the insurance companies plane and I wonder if this played a large part in his decision process?

Anyway he survived and no bent metal. Well done

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

4. Not much ATC interaction.

How do you know that? When looking from the front camera, you can see that he calls “Mayday, Mayday, Mayday” in order to make sure the area is clear for him. What else could be done, I don’t know….

What I don’t understand is why he’s continuously mixing up mixture with the prop lever…. he did it first time when checking the action of the prop before take off, then again when climbing instead of reducing engine rpm, he reduces fuel flow, quite significantly too….

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

then again when climbing instead of reducing engine rpm, he reduces fuel flow, quite significantly too….

Yes that was the second time he made that error. Also I thought the run up was rushed, and then a rolling take off. I box manifold and RPM at 2500 established in the climb from the runway. But he mentions 30?? On watching again I notice he lowered the gear still with 20 flap. Perhaps its the STOL kit SOP. Not flown one of these.I also did not notice much trim movement. The engine went after that mixture error?

As I said he lived to tell the tale and hope that that he gets to the bottom of the engine issues.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

Yes that was the second time he made that error. Also I thought the run up was rushed, and then a rolling take off. I box manifold and RPM at 2500 established in the climb from the runway. But he mentions 30?? On watching again I notice he lowered the gear still with 20 flap. Perhaps its the STOL kit SOP. Not flown one of these.I also did not notice much trim movement. The engine went after that mixture error?

As I said he lived to tell the tale and hope that that he gets to the bottom of the engine issues.

My first impression was that he overly leaned the engine at high rpm, causing detonation, so possibly not a maintenance induced failure but a failure of the nut behind the yoke? Detonation → Piston melts in cylinder, seizes solid – breaks con rod – > thrown through housing….

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 27 Nov 16:40
EDL*, Germany

And the whole thing is nicely documented…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message