Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna P210 N731MT down at Hohenems LOIH

I can’t find the post from you with three pictures. Can you try another link to your post?

https://euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/13442-cessna-p210-n731mt-down-at-hohenems-loih/post/300946#300946

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

boscomantico wrote:

Go to min. 5:00 for the actual takeoff

Now this looks and feels exactly like on my old MS Flight Simulator back in 1990, same visual range!

Germany

Here is a video of a departure in similiar conditions, i.e. approx. 200-250 meters vis amd clear once about 500 feet AGL. Go to min. 5:00 for the actual takeoff. And while this departure didn‘t involve any mountains, it wasn‘t on a SID or with immediate radar assistance either…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Nov 20:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Why or wherefrom do we know that gear was not retracted and flaps still extended? I’m not sure whether this is still retreivable from the crashed aircraft. This is one of the “sure sure” informations or is there a source? And anyhow, if it was retreivable, it will only be published in the accident report, which will take a year or more to come.

Other than that and from a pilot’s view on as what to learn from an accident I agree with @Peter that we’re through and unless no new evidence turns up that there’s nothing more to learn here.

However, I think that we’ve honored the fellow pilot in thinking and discussing about what happened to him, in a way that only we pilots do to this high degree.

Germany

Emir wrote:

For this simple question I offered you very simple (and very probable) explanation here but somehow it’s not easy to accept it. The first picture in that post shows what he did, the second one is area chart and the third one shows what he actually though he was doing.

I can’t find the post from you with three pictures. Can you try another link to your post?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

I once landed on the opposite runway

In another thread related to mistakes I wrote about three I’ve done (that in similar cases ended fatally): took off from opposite runway, had partial spatial orientation in VMC that ended with recovery from unusual attitude and lost in fog during taxing prior to departure.

cpt_om_sky wrote:

again one simple question

For this simple question I offered you very simple (and very probable) explanation here but somehow it’s not easy to accept it. The first picture in that post shows what he did, the second one is area chart and the third one shows what he actually though he was doing.

Last Edited by Emir at 23 Nov 22:39
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes; unfortunately there is no limit to how stupid mistakes can be done by high-hour pilots. Especially if there has been some preceeding stressful stuff – as is very often the case in GA ops. Or just a crappy night’s sleep.

I’ve got ~3k hrs in the TB20 and I have got runways mixed up. I once landed on the opposite runway (following conflicting info on which one was in use by a previous unit). And I got well confused on another occassion (much assisted by a faulty AHRS).

Nobody is immune, which is why we have procedures, checklists, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

cpt_om_sky wrote:

why he is turning right in a seemingly controlled (at least kind of steady) way climbing
for such a long time ! without noticing his heading or obviously looking at his instruments ?

The long and the short answer is – I don’t know. Only hypothesis I can come up with is disorientation and unfamiliarity with the installed avionics. The latter possibly leading to the former.

Edited to add: what @Cobalt says. Turn right 99% of the time, do it again. And perhaps not familiar with the instrumentation. It would be interesting to know how much time he had with the avionics as installed during the accident flight. Failure to raise the gear does, IMHO, point to being overloaded.

Last Edited by 172driver at 23 Nov 19:10

@cpt_om_sky, all it takes a simple mistake, like initiating the turn into the wrong direction because of a momentary lapse. Everything works nicely, the heading changes, the horizon shows a nice banked attitude, beautiful, everything is as expected…. bang.

People make left/right or “wrong way” mistakes all the time. Ages ago an IFR pilot intercepted a radial the in the wrong direction and flew into a mountain. That was pre-GPS, and ATC didn’t notice, either. I had controllers giving me a turn in the wrong direction. Students sometimes struggle to figure out which way to turn when turning to a heading. Not all of them are slight disorientation, some are simple lapses. Humans are fallible.

The only thing that I find strange is that he did not change the aircraft configuration at all. Forgetting to raise the gear could indicate that for some reason the workload was higher than expected or he could deal with, but why? Or it might simply be the muscle memory of turning right 90% of the time taking over when distracted by the failure of the gear to retract.

I don’t think we will ever find out.

But given everyone makes mistakes, I would like to understand what was available to recover from the mistake – did he have EGPWS? What would it show in this situation; would it be useful at all?

Even if we don’t know why it did not help him, we could learn the limits of these accident prevention tools; or learn that it would be a good idea to have them.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 23 Nov 18:58
Biggin Hill

again one simple question (again sorry, but this really haunts me) to all of you (very) experienced pilots:

you got your c 210p
you got g500txi, gtn750, gtn650

you go out 05
straight out for some 20 seconds. in zero viz.
(you just keep on going straight and nothing would be happening. all clear skies above in about 5 minutes).
you want to go to edja (gps course. some 30°)

then you start turning right (east to southeast)
in long almost half circle in a time of about 50 to 70 seconds
to crash into a wall of rocks.

(you could come up with all kinds of speculations, wild guesses, hypotheses etc.)

nothing as yet could give me any reasonable and consistent theory:
why he is turning right in a seemingly controlled (at least kind of steady) way climbing
for such a long time ! without noticing his heading or obviously looking at his instruments ?

(engine/technical problems, health problems, desorientation, even distress and overload) would not result in a somewhat steady course/turn and climbing ?!)
a somewhat close arguement was, that he could not even have noticed that he was turning or being in an emergency situation (lost orientation).

how would you not look at your instruments, not noticing your heading for about 40 seconds, in the icm situation given ??

Austria
246 Posts
Sign in to add your message