Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corrosion X or ACF-50?

I have been familiar with ACF-50 for years but failed to appreciate it properly until last week when I became part of the maintenance team resurrecting a Mitsubishi MU-2 that stood outdoors idle for a year and half and became infested with various gremlins. As it turns out, ACF-50 is not only a means of corrosion prevention, but also a very effective gremlinicide, especially on intermittent defects in components like switches. With its penetrating action, it also saved us from labour-intensive disassembly operations to get to the flaky parts.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Hi,

here is a good video on rust inhibitors and what to use for our aircraft:

Best wishes

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

That’s really informative.

So XCP and ACS200 (could not find a website for it) substantially outperform ACF50.

However -

• the test was done with steel; on aluminium the result may differ
  • safety on electrical wiring, crimps, etc, is unknown
  • what about bulk liquid availability
  • flammability (if applied to engine parts and starting up before volatile compounds have evaporated)

ACF50 seems to work superbly on internal cavities of airframes. My plane is like new at 19 years. It doesn’t work much on wind/water/tks-exposed parts e.g. engine metalwork, but still does do something, because my engine looks far cleaner than others I see.

So if I was changing, I would stick with ACF50 for the airframe and try something new on the engine and landing gear.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is a test of various corrosion inhibitors from the motorbike sphere. ACF50 is one of them and doesn’t come out too good on bare steel and salt spray.

Administrator

Peter, what difference ACF50 make on an engine ?
Except from looking better

LFOU, France

Just a bit less corrosion. It may also help to preserve the ignition harness, but that’s speculation. It’s really about corrosion because that’s the biggest killer of planes in the long run, and the biggest cost item.

Administrator

You mean internal corrosion ? Do you think ACF50 protects the camshaft and so on ?

LFOU, France

No; just external. You spray it on the engine, avoiding the exhaust pipes, the alternator, and any rubber belt(s).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No; just external. You spray it on the engine, avoiding the exhaust pipes, the alternator, and any rubber belt(s).

thats good info. The front cylinder fins always get rust on them. SO ACF50 can be sprayed on the cylinder fins exposed in the front?

Last Edited by By9468840 at 28 Jan 16:11
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

So if I was changing, I would stick with ACF50 for the airframe and try something new on the engine and landing gear.

I totally agree. I am going to try XCP clear coat on the cylinder fins. I hate their look when they rust out and turn brown after a while.
But I am definitely sticking to ACF50 or Corrosion X for everything else.

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message