Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

It will be interesting to see what happens to Avgas prices now that the oil price has collapsed by 30%.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Since today, Austria is banning any flights inbound from most of Northern Italy. See here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Mar 12:32
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The Austrians have more brains than we do…. This is what Switzerland should have done 2 weeks ago when Italy started to go bad. I have to say the more I see of Chancellor Kurz the more I like what he is doing.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

EASA should do the same. A six-month extension of all existing Part M and FCL certificates and licences (i.e a moratorium on all requirements for revalidation) would have zero effect on safety and avoid people having to travel and interact unnecessarily to do their training flights, etc.

That would be a socially responsible, life-saving reaction to this European pandemic. So I guess EASA will do nothing…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

So I guess EASA will do nothing…

I would put money on EASA doing absolutely nothing sensible like that.

It will be equally interesting if the FAA does something to extend BFR validity. Is there any precedent?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The suggestion that FAA might allow flight reviews to extend for more than two years did make me smile.

I don’t think anyone suggested that. No need. The FAA system works perfectly.

Which is perhaps why EASA had to impose one that is more cumbersome and bureaucratic.

Peter wrote:

It will be equally interesting if the FAA does something to extend BFR validity. Is there any precedent?

Ahh. I missed that. Still, the average light GA cockpit may be as good a place for airmen to trade germs as piloting skills.

Just now in the news, AVINOR talks about shutting down their airports. It doesn’t say if this is for CAT exclusively (closing the terminals) or if this is a total shut down of the runway. I would guess the former, but have to wait and see.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Can anyone in Italy say whether there are GA movements (notably bizjet) at the “locked down” airports? I’ve just read that Bergamo is locked down but company flights are operating to get staff out of there.

Perhaps FR24 is the way to do this.

I guess there is simply no precedent for this but I am wondering whether if say you landed at some airport in France, and France put a block on air travel, would you be stuck there (potentially for months, both you and the plane) or would they allow “repatriation” of the aircraft? Getting back to the UK would be impossible even in person if they blocked the ferries also. You would have to pass a bundle of cash to some private boat owner…

This could in theory happen even on a day trip to Le Touquet!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message