Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Continuing Battle in the US over FAA ATC Funding and why.

NCYankee wrote:

For instance the tower must be manned for the airport to be open.
Not true in the US.

I wasnt referring to the US but to other countries. Especially Europe making GA impractical travel mode.

KHTO, LHTL

Airborne_Again wrote:

true in Germany and Austria because of the “Flugleiterpflicht”

Not exactly. Numerous airports in Germany have procedures for what we call “Fliegen ohne Flugleiter” (flying without AFIS). In the rural areas of Germany, people just takeoff and land, whenever they like, without any kind of procedure.

NCYankee wrote:

Not true in the US.

Not true in most countries, but (if you interpret the term “tower” generously) true in Germany and Austria because of the “Flugleiterpflicht”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

C210_Flyer wrote:

What about ADS-B in, that we now have available?

ADS-B In is a technology, but is not mandated anywhere.

C210_Flyer wrote:

For instance the tower must be manned for the airport to be open.

Not true in the US.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Must be in days of the sales pitch for ADS-B. All that ended up being sold was ADS-B Out for Surveillance.

What about ADS-B in, that we now have available? If anything it will take time for the govts of the world to let go of their control. That is one reason you have insane rules that only benefit the powers that be. For instance the tower must be manned for the airport to be open. I dont have to repeat all the nonsense that goes with egotists like the one mentioned running the aero club.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

You are correct but it describes the system as it was envisioned 20 yrs ago when I sat in the Next Gen lecture put on by the FAA and NASA.

Must be in days of the sales pitch for ADS-B. All that ended up being sold was ADS-B Out for Surveillance.

KUZA, United States

172driver wrote:

I take it you have never flown in SoCal airspace…..

Who cares about SoCal airspace? Let them handle things as they see fit. What is your point exactly? That socal airspace proves airlines don’t require ATC?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

NCYankee wrote:

This does not describe the current US ADS-B system, it was not ever intended for Free Flight, it is ADS-B Out only and is a Surveillance system that is intended to provide more accurate surveillance by ATC.

You are correct but it describes the system as it was envisioned 20 yrs ago when I sat in the Next Gen lecture put on by the FAA and NASA.

KHTO, LHTL

All these are excuses for the current way things are operated and its because of Bureaucratic bungling. Why do you need special permission from some authority? That has to change but just like the guy (with the gold braid in the above comment) needs to get a life and get along with his fellow man. The flying world is greater than his pattern work and ego. Everything is about control. The way its run is inefficient and impractical.

No reason you cant have a gate code for the gate.
There is no reason you cant have cameras set up to take photos of landing planes and have a billing system. At my home airport in the US we do just that. Its open 24/7 and the town is making money while they sleep.

KHTO, LHTL

LeSving wrote:

That’s only because it’s there. We have no choice when entering controlled space. The only reason it is controlled in the first pace, is airlines. If there were only GA around, and lots of it, we would have AFIS units, and that’s it.

I take it you have never flown in SoCal airspace…..

63 Posts
Sign in to add your message