Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 G-RGSK 26/3/2024 Duxford EGSU (and go-around discussion)

ASN

Very strange; video going around showing low level flight and a roll into the ground, with the chute deploying at the moment of impact.

Apparently flying circuits

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Side note: the world is going crazy. Why close an airfield for two days after something like that? See NOTAM.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

He was one of the two cirrus at Duxford, me being the other one.

@boscomantico, Duxford has been undergoing resurfacing works over the last two weeks. I suspect that after today, works got delayed.

Last Edited by Fernando at 26 Mar 19:56
EGSU, United Kingdom

Can someone please link the video going around referred

EGLK, United Kingdom

Just saw the video too on Twitter, not sure it’s nice to share here. So very sad.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

It looks like the go-around was done too early and it stalled, with a left wing drop. An SR22 stalls quite suddenly.

It hit the ground at a roll angle of about 100 degrees

The airframe is well broken and there was a cloud of, at a guess, avgas, and then the chute rocket activates itself

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It looks like the go-around was done too early

Huh? Why too early? Most go-around accidents happen because the maneuver is initiated too late (full flaps, behind the power curve, trimmed up for landing). I haven’t seen the video, btw.

According to discussions on Twitter, the pilot was attempting to land, bounced twice and went around. A few things – firstly, the spectators recording the video were to the left of the runway and secondly, the aircraft is pretty much brand new – less than 16 hours flight time so based on this, my first question would be: How much experience did the pilot have in the Cirrus? The second one would follow quickly: Had he stepped up from a less powerful machine – say, a P28A or similar?

Looking at the video brings me to a couple of (reasonable) assumptions based on the fact that the plane was trimmed for landing, the pilot had bounced (twice, according to an eye witness) and elected to go around; full throttle with a plane, trimmed for landing, with a powerful engine means that unless the pilot is actively entering nose down inputs on the side yoke, the nose is coming up – my thoughts are that the rate at which the nose rose surprised him as previously he’d only done touch and goes; Secondly, bearing in mind where the aircraft impacted, it’s also reasonable to assume that the pilot greatly underestimated the torque of the engine – likely he didn’t enter sufficient (any?) right rudder to offset the turning moment of the propeller because it was heading directly towards the spectators before the left wing dropped and stalled the aircraft into the ground….

EDL*, Germany

Peter wrote:

An SR22 stalls quite suddenly.

Not my experience

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

That’s tough to watch. The plane is basically already stalled but keeps going (and yawing left) due to power before suddenly banking in. Probably no right rudder and tried to correct bank with aileron. Cirrus can bite suddenly.

always learning
LO__, Austria
209 Posts
Sign in to add your message