Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 G-RGSK 26/3/2024 Duxford EGSU (and go-around discussion)

alioth wrote:

ASN says 0 fatalaties – is this an error? (It doesn’t look survivable)

Yes from energy dissipation (rotation of the fuselage rather than direct impact, see the wing disintegrate that took a lot of energy) it could be survivable in fact. If rescue arrived quickly. However, I would guess less than 50/50 to survive.

Last Edited by UdoR at 27 Mar 12:25
Germany

Cambridgeshire Live reporting that the pilot did not survive

United Kingdom

IO390 wrote:

Cambridgeshire Live reporting that the pilot did not survive

BBC as well https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjex992z0wlo

EGTR

May he rest in peace.

Germany

There is a bystander effect, where the more people witness an incident, the less likely they are to intervene.

The decision-making process to help could take several long seconds for the non-EMT non-aviation general public. We as pilots might previously have run a “what would I do if…” scenario mentally, and be getting ready to start running once it’s obvious the aircraft is out of control. I hope more people do this after watching the video.

On the other hand, the first step in first aid courses is to stop and assess the scene, to keep yourself and others safe.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunately, although a new aircraft, it once more demonstrated a potential weakness within Garmin’s ESP – it only begins to work at 200ft AGL or higher in altitude. Perhaps the software programmers should be able to program a logic which reads: If the aircraft was approaching to land and the pilot commands a gone around (full throttle), then ESP becomes immediately active in pitch in order to ensure the nose is pushed forward…..

EDL*, Germany

once more demonstrated a potential weakness within Garmin’s ESP

Isn’t this what a TOGA switch is meant to do?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Yes but that just sets up the flight director to show the appropriate attitude; you fly it by hand. I have a TOGA switch too.

I would bet that getting certification for an autopilot which flies “officially” below 200ft would be awfully tricky. Even airliners use a radalt below about 150ft (CAT3); not a barometric altimeter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This seems to be a relatively common cirrus accident. It’s astounding that cirrus hasn’t sorted it out still especially that their planes are marketed to newbies like myself.

Stupid question but I’m positives this machine had a yaw damper. Why didn’t it kick in?

EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message