Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheapest source for a Yaesu 550 or 750 transceiver in Europe, and does it do 8.33

That could well be it. US firmware has no 8,33 khz TX. EU has it.
It is the same for marine vhf (standard horizon/yaesu). It is exactly the same device but the firmware for euro versions is different (python pros can easily change it) and the EU device is about 150€ more than the US device.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Not surprising the firmware is different since 8.33 is nothing but total hassle for US pilots.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I bought an Icom 8.33 from Mendelssohn. Aircraft Spruce Icoms didn’t have 8.33.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I bought mine from pilotshop.nl (Peter Mundy) and find it a very good replacement for the ICOM one I had before.

EDLE, Netherlands

Being charitable to Sportys – is it possible there is a US version which does not TX on 8.33? The other drawback of course is that it will come with a 110v power supply.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

If I buy it from Sporty’s after they answered it will not TX on 8,33khz I will have a problem exchanging it. It shouldn’t be too hard for a major pilot shop to get their product specs right but apparently it is.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

It is possible they have implemented an 8.33 receiver for all cases, which will work except with possibly not so well with a slightly shagged old radio, of which there are many in common use in GA.

It might not work well for 25 kHz channels where several transmitters are used to cover a large area and the different transmitters have slightly offset frequencies. I believe this technique is called “CLIMAX” in the UK… (This is actually the only case where the regulations have a blanket approval for the continued use of 25 kHz channels.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The receiver selectivity should vary according to whether an 8.33k frequency is selected. Various previous posts e.g. here and here. So their spec

doesn’t look right. It is possible they have implemented an 8.33 receiver for all cases, which will work except with possibly not so well with a slightly shagged old radio, of which there are many in common use in GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t understand – you ask a question, get multiple answers saying the same thing but feel the need to put the same question to the manufacturer.

44 Posts
Sign in to add your message