Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheapest source for a Yaesu 550 or 750 transceiver in Europe, and does it do 8.33

They were 8.33 TX/RX in 2017 as well.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thank you!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I think the 750 is a good package. Anyone buying one expecting the gps to have bells-and-whistles really needs to re-visit the efficacy of their homework schedule.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Sporty’s commented that they do not have any units capable of 8,33 TX, only RX. Have contacted Yaesu directly.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t understand – you ask a question, get multiple answers saying the same thing but feel the need to put the same question to the manufacturer.

The receiver selectivity should vary according to whether an 8.33k frequency is selected. Various previous posts e.g. here and here. So their spec

doesn’t look right. It is possible they have implemented an 8.33 receiver for all cases, which will work except with possibly not so well with a slightly shagged old radio, of which there are many in common use in GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It is possible they have implemented an 8.33 receiver for all cases, which will work except with possibly not so well with a slightly shagged old radio, of which there are many in common use in GA.

It might not work well for 25 kHz channels where several transmitters are used to cover a large area and the different transmitters have slightly offset frequencies. I believe this technique is called “CLIMAX” in the UK… (This is actually the only case where the regulations have a blanket approval for the continued use of 25 kHz channels.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If I buy it from Sporty’s after they answered it will not TX on 8,33khz I will have a problem exchanging it. It shouldn’t be too hard for a major pilot shop to get their product specs right but apparently it is.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Being charitable to Sportys – is it possible there is a US version which does not TX on 8.33? The other drawback of course is that it will come with a 110v power supply.

Sign in to add your message