Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bumpy flight to Bournemouth and wind-shear on final

After departing with a huge Thunderstorm over London, encountering lots of turbulence. As the flight progresses I discuss using three moving maps together for enhanced situational awareness as Pilot in Command. The two moving maps built into the aircraft are GNS430s. I use Sky Demon on the iPad for the third.

Due to pre-flight planning, my altitude was restricted and with the weather the way it was. I was unable to comply with IFR instructions due to the known icing level at 4000ft and the likelihood of severe turbulence inside towering cumulus. The F215 charts said the clouds would out-climb FL100 (XXX)

A challenging landing into Bournemouth, on this gusty and convective March afternoon. After joining the Bournemouth CTR via Hengistbury Head, I struggle to find traffic on base leg. It’s moments like this with turbulence increasing the workload that you have some form of traffic awareness on the iPad.

Landing Runway 26, I report windshear had occurred at 200ft but elected to continue but should I have probably done the safest thing and gone-around?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Great video.

As a point of potential debate (and it is always difficult to tell from a video) but for me the approach looked on or below the PAPIs. I know a lot of pilots do this in a SEP, but it seems to me it is something worth avoiding, especially with such a long runway. With that amount of wind, and sheer, with a loss of power or failure the outcome will be to land short, whereas I cant think of any disadvantages of flying the approach above or well above the PAPIs.

If your approach is stable within a sensible speed/path that is adjusted for gusts, why you would go-around if you just encountered windsheer?

Is this an airliner thing, I don’t think DA40 is connected to doppler ground radar, sinks at 10kfpm on windsheer and certainly it’s FMS can cope with a quick 20 degres nose down ;)

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Apr 20:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Not had time to watch the videos, but everywhere there is wind, there is wind shear. Wind shear is merely the wind gradient. You cannot have wind without getting wind shear.

Re the approach lights, normally if you aim for the start of the runway, you will see all reds. It looks terrible in flying videos of course

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

QuoteRe the approach lights, normally if you aim for the start of the runway, you will see all reds. It looks terrible in flying videos of course

But why would you?

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 08 Apr 21:42

Looked to me like you had gusts on short final which gave you +10 knots or so. Didn’t see any negative windshear which is the dangerous side. But given the weather and the metar, it was hardly a surprise was it? That is why you added some speed to Vref. I didn’t see any reason to go around but obviously if you were not comfortable, you should have.

EGTK Oxford

“But why would you?”

I think PAPI slope like the one in the video (3km?) is made for a B747 touchdown, I guess on all red/white you will always make it on a SEP :)

But why would you?

Usually to take an earlier exit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I think PAPI slope like the one in the video (3km?) is made for a B747 touchdown, I guess on all red/white you will always make it on a SEP :)

All red/white?

Would you make it on an all red?

Peter wrote:

Usually to take an earlier exit.

but this is a DA40 (I know the smiley face). In that wind it will literally stop on a sixpence and at Bournemouth you want to be well down the runway anyway for the GA terminal (I almost cant bring myself to call it a terminal).

JasonC wrote:

Looked to me like you had gusts on short final which gave you +10 knots or so. Didn’t see any negative windshear which is the dangerous side. But given the weather and the metar, it was hardly a surprise was it? That is why you added some speed to Vref. I didn’t see any reason to go around but obviously if you were not comfortable, you should have.

I agree. Also in a DA40 and a runway that long you are almost certainly going to land, even if you need a little more time to regain some stability. Again, I have always found a steeper profile works better than dragging it in on the back of the power curve. To be fair the DA40 is pretty horrible in very windy conditions, or, you could argue, enjoyably sporty.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Would you make it on an all red?

Honestly NO, I prefer high & fast & steep than low & slow & shallow when it is gusty
But one get tempted to undershoot if there is a high-speed taxi exit

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message