Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rhodes / Rhodos LGRP, Greece

Not much has been written about this Greek island. GA people flying to Greece seem to go everywhere else…

The airport has customs/immigration and ILS.

It used to have Avgas 100LL but I just checked notams:

I wonder if this is permanent?

It has huge opening hours. We have just been there for 5 days and jets were departing right up to midnight (2100 UTC).

The island is lovely. It is quite heavy on the tourist side, with some pretty “rough” places, but they keep it localised. Unlike Corfu (the only Greek island where the standard of food has gone way downhill) it has not been trashed and remains really worth a visit

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It used to have Avgas 100LL but I just checked notams:

I wonder if this is permanent?

Peter from https://www.notams.faa.gov where I check my NOTAMs:
A1254/16 – AVGAS 100LL NOT AVAILABLE.
12 JUN 07:06 2016 UNTIL 13 JUN 12:00 2016.
CREATED: 12 JUN 07:07 2016

I see nothing permanent in that. June 13th is today and the NOTAM was issued yesterday June 12th.
Maybe the fuel bowser needed some maintenance, they have engines too ;-)

LGRP has some activity by a local FTO and many pilots, mainly to/from Israel or Cyprus use it as a stopover.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Just checked with Swissport.

It is temporary only.

Administrator

Pics of the GA parking area, 5 days apart

LGRP, with the old disused one behind it

which still shows up on old ONC charts

One of these was going in/out

Administrator

You should finally treat yourself to the Airmillion “Balkans” chart. It’s really useful… and does not contain 30 year old data, not does it cost a fortune, like that helicopter chart.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Rhodes has this interesting paragraph in the AIP, due to many incidents involving all kinds of traffic.

2.22.1.3 Pilots landing or taking off at RODOS/ DIAGORAS Airport should exercise extreme caution when South or South- East (S-SE) winds of more than 15 Kts prevail, as moderate or severe turbulence and wind shear may be encountered on the final
approach and/or initial climb out areas (mainly of RWY 07). More specifically the following phenomena affecting seriously the flight
safety are observed: – The wind direction and speed at a given time vary along the runway (horizontal wind shear). – The wind direction and speed, at a given point of the runway, are continuously changing (turbulent wind shear). – Severe turbulence on the final approach, take-off and initial climb out areas. – When the South or South-East wind speed increases over 15 Kts, landing and/or take-off not recommended, since a severe
horizontal and turbulent wind shear may prevail at some intermediate point on final approach and/or take-off and initial climb
out areas. – Because unexpected changes in wind direction and speed can be hazardous to aircraft operations at low altitude on approach
to and departing from RODOS/ DIAGORAS Airport, pilots are urged to volunteer reports of wind shear to DIAGORAS TWR or
RODOS APP, as soon as possible, so that the pilots of following aircraft can be warned. It is suggested that pilots
experiencing a wind shear in flight should report it in the following format:
a) A simple warning of the presence of wind shear, even if no further information can be given.
b) The altitude or altitude band, where the wind shear was encountered.
c) Details of the effects of the wind shear on the aircraft, i.e. airspeed gain or loss, vertical speed tendency, etc.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message