Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best Bay Area airport ?

I plan to spend 10 days with my in-law family in downtown San Francisco in May. I’m looking for a convenient airfield with good flying club or aircrafts to rent, easy to commute to from downtown (Haight/Ashbury), not to foggy…
I’d fly VFR, C172 or 182. Need BFR.
Thanks.

LFLY, France

Along the peninsular you have San Carlos (KSQL – Oracle are nearby!) and Palo Alto (KPAO). They are much less prone to fog than SFO and have a few club/rental options.
West Valley Flying Club operates out of both and has lots of rental options plus there are a few other smaller clubs. One at PAO IIRC doesn’t require renters’ insurance which may be a consideration.
I fly out of Hayward on the other side of the bay, but don’t know about their rental options.

If you want to try something a bit different then Attitude Aviation at Livermore – BART and Uber will get you there if you don’t have your own wheels.

If you’d like a quick tour in the back of my RV-4 from HWD (assuming you fit) then please get in touch.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your answer. I checked WVFC: they look great and have the advantage of flying both out of PAO and SQL. (SQL, is it an allusion to Oracle? What a coincidence!).
I imagine I’d have to do the flight review out of PAO.
I’d love to fly with you in your RV-4 from HWD
I fit in a modern glider, so I think I’d fit in the back of your plane.
My vacation in SF is scheduled week commencing on May 3rd.
Best regards.

Last Edited by Nestor at 13 Mar 21:36
LFLY, France

Last time I looked at the rental options at Hayward, they were pretty slim. SQL and PAO are a lot better, especially if you will be in San Francisco.

LFPT, LFPN

Nestor,

I believe Oracle had some influence on San Carlos’ ICAO code

It may be the Sundance club at PAO that didn’t need a renter’s insurance, best to check with them. If you only fly dual, you should be covered anyway.
I should be free over those weekends, so get in touch nearer the date.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Just bear in mind that PAO is 30 miles from SF so if you are in central SF it could take up to an hour driving, but the airport is just off 101.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

I’ve been a member of the West Valley Flying Club in Palo Alto for years. I can only recommend it. Huge fleet, a lot of CFI and a very efficient (but busy!) airport. Make sure to train the local procedures well, there are controlled airports all over and the frequencies very busy. Once you got the hang of it, it’s a wonderful place to fly.

Thank you all. I just can’t sait to be there

Last Edited by Nestor at 14 Mar 16:50
LFLY, France

Oracle had some influence on San Carlos’ ICAO code

Wide grin – will have to tell my dba at work.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I agree with West Valley Flying Club. Did myself go to KSQL for flying in mid Jan. Very proeffsional and fair amount of planes even if more planes available at the SAO site. Big advantage of KSQL is that’s only 30 min drive from downtown SF. Unfortunately I never managed to fly as it was fogged in and I could not wait for it to lift due to work comittments but that’s another story… If I go to SF again I would choose WVFC and KSQL again, no question.

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message