Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics Advice if needed

Good afternoon all

At Peters request, I have signed up and am willing to offer any advice on Avionics matters you may have, I own IAE Ltd, an EASA Part 145 and FAA Repair Station in the UK Maintaining and Installing Avionics from Cessna 150 up to Kingair 200 as well as Rotorcraft and hold Authorisations for all of the major Avionics Companies, I will periodically check and offer advice where required and appropriate.

Thanks

Garry Joyce
Avionics Director/Owner
IAE ltd

EGTC, United Kingdom

GarryIAE wrote:

I have signed up and am willing to offer any advice on Avionics matters you may have

Gosh, you’re a brave man, GarryIAE But thank you!

What are your thoughts on simple (ie. affordable) systems, ADS-B or otherwise, that provide as-reliable-as-you-can-realistically-get conspicuity and traffic avoidance?

Mendelssohn Pilot Supplies recommend Monro, Peter says it’s rubbish. Some say Pilot Aware (if you like wires and dongles), some say uAvionx, some say it’s all pointless and some say we need a revolution…

What do you say?

Last Edited by jgmusic at 03 Apr 13:30
jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Welcome to EuroGA, Garry

I don’t know where you got that from Jgmusic. I have never heard of Monro. There is a little known US product called Monroy, but I never said it is rubbish! The thread on it is here and the chief question is the lack of installations, and the very few that exist (whose owners are willing to talk) are, shall we say, less than wholly positive. One thread on Uavionix and similar products is here.

Nothing “brave” about posting here. EuroGA is a properly moderated forum, which is a rather new concept in European GA

It’s great to have a real avionics installer here. There is a fair bit of collective knowledge around but much of the time only someone in the trade will have up to date expertise.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know the threads on Uavionix and others but I’m genuinely interested to know the thoughts of an avionics expert to cut through the sandstorm that this subject tends to create… unless I’ve just been dim and missed something more obvious (always possible).

jgmusic

To be honest jgmusic my knowledge on this isn’t that strong as I tend to work with Certified panel mount equipment, I know Uavionix have some neat solutions for wingtip mounted ADS-B but as I say I haven’t got any experience with installing them or how well they perform.

EGTC, United Kingdom

Understood. Thank you Garry.

jgmusic

Peter wrote:

It’s great to have a real avionics installer here. There is a fair bit of collective knowledge around but much of the time only someone in the trade will have up to date expertise.

Welcome Gary
I am looking forward to good discussions!

EDM_, Germany

Welcome Gary, and thanks for the offer of brains to pick.

On the subject of ADSB-in, I recently installed Pilot Aware in my long-suffering bushplane/glider tug. You might say that use of the word “installed” is to take liberties with the English language – I just plugged it into a RAVpower pack and bundled the whole caboodle under the driver’s seat with a couple of cable ties and some Velcro hook which sticks to carpet like muck to a blanket. Out of sight, out of mind.

It’s early days, but it seems to do what it says on the tin.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The Uavionix wingtip mounted ADS-B product is not only uncertified in the USA (for Experimental market only, the site says) but being on the UAT band it will never do anything useful in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message