Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter updates (merged)

I am pleased to report that the router now works on my Nokia 808, with the Opera Mobile browser (the least crappy browser available for Symbian, AFAIK).

At last the system has reached production status!! When will support for the Apple ][e be implemented?

EGTK Oxford

one thing I liked of RocketRoute is that I could download Airports Plates for operating hours, fuel availability, handlers telephones, etc…. Where else could I find them all in one place?

Where does this information come from? Is it from the AIP or is it from an airport directory like ACUKWIK? There are free airport directories and anyway the only really reliable data comes from the airport itself.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are plenty of places to get the Eurocontrol EAD plates. SkyDemon is one example.

Rocketroute just uses aip docs.

EGTK Oxford

so, is there one website containing all European plates (like Nats for uk) for free of for cheap?

ValerioM, for IFR plates – yes, http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int . VFR plates are only available for some countries – in particular, German and Swiss ones are missing.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 09 May 18:03
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

by plates I mean the AIP

A one line reply is not possible here.

The bottom line here is that if one wants a rolls royce service one has to pay a rolls royce price.

The “system” is not set up as a simple database where one can just login and get everything, for free or for any cost. This is not America with its AFD (airport facility directory, or whatever it is now called). Here, the stuff is all over the place and if you want it collated then somebody needs to be paid to do that, mostly by hand. And even then a lot of it is crap – for example I would never fly to an airport in Spain, ETA 1700Z, for which the AIP says it closes 1800Z. The system is simply not that good – well not universally. The German AIP is probably OK. South of the Alps, and especially south of the Pyrenees… a different story. In Greece, the notams carry the opening hours (reliably) and all other sources are crap.

At the top end, Jeppesen (and others) will do all this for you, with prices starting at a few hundred quid a month (reportedly, according to a Jepp man I met at a party a while ago who worked in that department ) for a service where they prepare a comprehensive routepack. They probably even phone the airport to check the hours and the fuel. Corporate jet ops use these – they don’t sit there hacking together Eurocontrol routes.

At the bottom end… how much is your time worth? It can’t be worth that much because if it was… see the paragraph above

So, most IR holders who have plenty of money buy the Jepp Europe VFR+IFR sub (about €2k/year) and perhaps subscribe to ACUKWIK (an IMHO over-rated airport directory). But they probably pay as much again for their instrument panel databases… IR holders who have less money fly with the AIP plates (or share a Jepp sub) and get their data from a collection of places. For example this free database is really good for the contact details, which you then phone and/or email and get the info straight from the horse’s mouth, and I think this is much better than ACUKWIK (which I had the sub for a few years ago).

Personally I would not pay anything for a commercial service which just delivers the free AIP IFR plates. However, what some of them do is deliver a bit of value by including the German VFR ones (and maybe the Swiss ones?) which you otherwise have to pay for. That’s worth IRO a hundred quid a year, but how often do you fly there VFR? You don’t need that stuff unless you are flying V Z or Y, or using nontowered/unmanned airports where there is no IFR clearance all the way to/from the runway so you are de facto VFR, but then you also need VFR charts… and nobody does those for free.

So if you get 10 pilots and asked them, you get 10 different answers. If you are a real cheapskate, you can ask me

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So, most IR holders who have plenty of money buy the Jepp Europe VFR+IFR sub (about €2k/year) and perhaps subscribe to ACUKWIK (an IMHO over-rated airport directory). But they probably pay as much again for their instrument panel databases

I’ve just paid €2138 for 12 months of Central Europe MFD, GTN 750 databases (all), Garmin GTN 750 Chartview, Garmin 695 Chartview (practically free with MFD) and I got four iPad logins as well for JeppFD (two still available for sale!).

I don’t think that’s such a bad deal.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message