Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are panel mounted avionics going to become obsolete?

In the US they typically said fly heading XXX, intercept V312. OK on the G1000 as you can just arm NAV while in HDG mode and so long as the V airway is loaded you are fine (just confirming that the right leg is active).

Also easy enough with Foreflight.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Sep 15:49
EGTK Oxford

fly heading XXX, intercept V312

That is a bit tricky unless you set a DCT to the first waypoint on V312 after you joined V312, and select OBS mode, and intercept V312 that way (as if flying a DIY GPS approach).

Or intercept a VOR radial if that waypoint is a VOR.

Very few avionics will do that for you – of the actually currently flying light aircraft population.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With a GNS430W and KAP150 what Jason describes is quite easy….IF you already have the waypoints either side of the desired intercept entered…you would activate that leg, fly on heading mode with a suitable intercept angle and press NAV….it should then automatically intercept once the CDI starts to move

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

That is a bit tricky unless you set a DCT to the first waypoint on V312 after you joined V312, and select OBS mode, and intercept V312 that way (as if flying a DIY GPS approach).

I would pull up the airway map on my tablet, intercept the airway with the aircraft track barb and once established, navigate to the next waypoint or navaid that defines the airway. Easy I think but as said, nothing you’d encounter in Europe and if you do, you can always ask for a heading instead.

Significant portions of the US airspace do not have radar coverage, that is one difference to flying over here.

The same “rigorous aviation standards” used by Continental and Lycoming for their engines :-) ?

Haha.

Still, iPad’s weren’t built for aviation use. That’s why panel mounted avionics won’t get obsolete.

You’ll never get away on an IFR flight by filling in iPad in your flight plan. Well, actually try it:

Item 10a fill in “Z/iPad”. See how serious they take you.

Oh wait! Wasn’t the iPad Air built for flying?

Last Edited by Archie at 20 Oct 11:05

Still, iPad’s weren’t built for aviation use. That’s why panel mounted avionics won’t get obsolete.

I don’t see how that relates.

The iPad is one specific product. It was obviously not made for aviation use. But it marked the beginning of a trend to use tablet-style devices for a whole range of purposes. Panel mounted avionics could become obsolete (I’m not saying they will) if future tablet products are geared towards aviation.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

No tablet will ever be able to drive an autopilot (certified aircraft) which limits portable devices to “flight monitoring” usage, document viewing, emergency navigation, etc.

I don’t know if the homebuilt market has any autopilot connections to portable devices. For example Oziexplorer has an “autopilot output” which (with the disclaimer that it may result in your death) presumably does something like that.

But would you trust the comms to run over wifi or bluetooth, while you are flying an approach?

There are some products for that market but they are standalone boxes. One was discussed here a long time ago which will guide you to an airport, hands off, if the engine fails and you are within glide range.

Administrator

Not ever… unless after the GoogleCar self-driving car and the MB FutureTruck self-driving, ahem, truck, comes the GooglePlane.

I am also not sure if anybody is ever going to support GPS approaches in any non certified product.

Dynon (the main player) have avoided that whole area and I am sure they are doing it for a reason.

Obviously, there is a procedure for implementing a GPS approach (including LPV) in a device in the aircraft, but I can’t see anybody making a portable device doing this in any way other than buying the data block from Jepp, and Jepp aren’t going to sell it cheaply…

ILS is different because you don’t need any location-specific data for it, so even a handheld radio can implement it.

And enroute flight is trivial…

Administrator

About getting instructions to join an airway: in France ATS do not even know airway designators. In the US it was common to get such instructions, as pointed out by others in this thread.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message