Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AOPA: Germany to extend Cessna SID deadline until June 2015 (2018)

Deadline extended to 30.06.2018. Not kidding.

Germany just released a new NfL, NfL 2-343-17: http://www.lba.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/NfLs/Technik/NfL_2-343-17.html

After the Cessna SID deadline of 31.12.2015, they now released this NfL on 10.05.2017, the deadline got extended to 30.06.2018.

There is no typo: They actually extended a deadline that has passed two years ago. The LBA writes that this new NfL extends the deadline due to the alleviations of the coming Part-ML. Obviously a legal basis to prescribe the SIDs never existed in the first place but they finally found an excuse to go public with the alleviation.

Tiagoarne wrote:

If a repair of 10 or 20k is needed I will react and find a solution.

In fairness, it’s more of a question of when it comes and how often, rather than if.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I am pretty sure that I will learn a lot and hopefully not all will be bad experiences.
I know that some unexpected expenses are yet to come however I don’t think that refraining myself to go ahead is the option. If a repair of 10 or 20k is needed I will react and find a solution. Maybe will have to ground it for a while, maybe I will have to dismantle and sell the plane part by part. Worst case scenario I will lose the plane cost, it’s not the end of the world, but it will be a hell of an experience. I don’t want to wait 10 years until I have 20k in my back pocket for anything that may occur. I am allowing 5k/year for ownership costs, dry. I think its reasonable. I am also planning to sell a share of it.

Berlin EDAY

Another option is for an Annual to be done at the prospective buyer’s company, and the seller agrees to pay for any unscheduled items. I have seen this done on a TB20. Obviously that works only if the aircraft is due for an Annual anyway, or if the seller is very keen to sell and is happy to risk this, to demonstrate that he is being honest when he says there are no defects.

My A&P/IA/EASA66 guy says that for a certified plane prebuy he needs 2 days.

1 day is spent on paperwork (AD compliance etc) and often totally show-stopping things are found there.

1 day is spent looking at the aircraft itself.

He might be willing to do this but he has only 4-day slots, due to his job.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you don’t have the 1000 € to do a proper pre-buy check, where do you take the 10,000 € from to rectify problems you’ve overlooked?

Indeed!

Tiago, it looks like your a bit naive about the vagaries if owning and running a 50 year-old CofA aircraft in the year 2015, on EASA register.

Don’t be blinded by the cheap purchase prices – there is a very precise reason for that. Even with a basic C150, a 10, or even 20k expense can lurk anytime (a SID, an AD, a corroded landing gear, an engine repair). Heck, even a “fairly standard” annual (with not much out of the ordinary) will easily run 5k (if you have it done entirely at a maintenance shop). Every year!

ELA1 might help a bit, but not all that much.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Jul 12:14
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If you don’t have the 1000 € to do a proper pre-buy check, where do you take the 10,000 € from to rectify problems you’ve overlooked?

The way it is often done:
- seller flies the plane to buyer’s shop
- shop performs an assessment
- seller has to pay for all identified corrective actions or walks away
- buyer can walk away if major issues surface

That would be the ideal, but as of now I do not have the budget to have an engineer travelling to Sweden. I will have to trust on my maintenance background, although not in piston light airplanes and a CAMO reviewing the paperwork.
My main concern is, documentation wise, to identify any major maintenance that would have to be made in a near future or if there is any gap in the plane maintenance history.

Last Edited by Tiagoarne at 17 Jul 11:53
Berlin EDAY

If possible, get the prebuy check done by an engineer from the firm which is likely to maintain the aircraft.

But in any case use an engineer who knows the aircraft type and works for you.

Administrator

Anyone available to fly to southern sweden and give on-site advice ? @boscomantico I think you’re quite close.
First I need to find a good and affordable CAMO organization to check paperwork.

Berlin EDAY

Interesting – thanks!

When did this come in?

Switching maintenance companies is a big risk for sure

Administrator
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message