Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports, yellow jackets, security, etc

what_next wrote:

But during daylight around small aircraft? Certainly not. But apart from the UK, no one really expects you to wear them under these conditions.

Zürich does….

what_next wrote:

Pilots have been run over by ground vehicles at night, especially because the dark-blue uniforms are sort of optimum camouflage in the dark.

Yea, one of them was a guy I knew very well, Crossair pilot killed in the UK while pre-flighting his Saab 2000…

As I have one with me at all times, I usually wear that jacket whenever I am on a tarmac where there is movement. Actually, I have recently started to wear it on my evening stroll around our village too after a VERY close encounter with the front end of one of the resident’s cars…

dublinpilot wrote:

Isn’t it just Germany that requires the presence of a human on the airfield to make the movement legal (and safe!).

Certainly in Germany yes.

dublinpilot wrote:

French airports don’t seem to close at “closing time”; it’s just the staff that go home, but you can still land and take off there.

If you have a French Languange Proficiency. If not, in places which have the FR only label, which most have after the staff are gone, watch out for a ramp check and massive hassle as a consequence.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

No vests needed in Germany

Flyer59 wrote:

No vests needed in Germany

They are, for example at EDDL even at the GAT. And its little cousin, EDLE, introduced them, too, recently. No one seems to be wearing them (yet?) apart from the local flight school, though.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Ok… I’ve never seen one. But then … i am from the southern part of Gemany :-)

Flyer59 wrote:

Ok… I’ve never seen one. But then … i am from the southern part of Gemany :-)

To be fair, I haven’t seen them in the North, either.

Maybe we’re just too close to the UK here!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Bern requires them if you want to do self handling, for you and your passengers. In Zürich they are compulsory whenever you move on the tarmac. Not sure about other places here.

In the darkness, wearing them is nothing but prudent, not only on airports, but also on roads, particularly if you wear dark clothes at night. Our daily stroll in the evening leads through a very quiet living area, quite upper class too (we are the exception there… ) but twice before I got uncomfortably close to being run over by a SUV. Since then, I usually wear it when I am with my darker jacket.

Of all the rules introduced, that is the one I can easily identify with. Well, maybe that happens if you loose someone you knew for years in one of these accidents. That one was particularly ugly. The pilot was on the walk around when he got hit by a baggage tractor, both of his legs were severed and he suffered multiple other injuries, to which he succumbed a few days later in hospital. Can’t remember, either Manchester or Birmingham where it happened.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Patrick wrote:

To be fair, I haven’t seen them in the North, either.

We have a regular customer who has his own apron and terminal on a middle-to-north German airport. They require yellow vests to be worn on their apron. Their ground, their rules…

EDDS - Stuttgart

If you are on the busy part of the apron on a large airport, there is some evidence that wearing high viz helps.

http://flightsafety.org/ao/ao_mar-apr03.pdf

Fly for your dreams
LOAV

what_next wrote:

(…) high-viz jacket (…) But during daylight around small aircraft? Certainly not. But apart from the UK, no one really expects you to wear them under these conditions.

Belgium…

ELLX

what_next wrote:

But during daylight around small aircraft? Certainly not. But apart from the UK, no one really expects you to wear them under these conditions.

I have on several occasions been told I was expected to wear a high-viz jacket at several airfields in France. Last time in Calvi. At some airfields there are signs saying you need high-viz.

At Norwegian airports you should wear high-viz as well. That was made very clear to me in Ålesund…

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message