Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airfields near Zurich

I need to take someone on a brief demo/test flight on the day before Friedrichshafen.

He is based in Hittnau, just SE of Zurich.

I am disinclined to use Zurich, for a number of reasons, like cost and convenience. I don’t believe that it’s really set up for quick VFR whizzles and return (correct me if I am wrong.)

Friedrichshafen itself is a possibility, but it will be quite busy on the Tuesday afternoon, and a step away from Hittnau. It’s also a bit of a pain with its international airport type security and queueing with the airline passengers.

I have looked around, and everything in between appears to be 650m or less, which is not really on for my Navajo.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that will allow me to arrive from the UK, do a quick 20 minute flight with the Hittnau resident, land back to drop him off, then on to EDNY?

EGKB Biggin Hill

If 650m is not enough, then you don’t have that many options around Zurich. Closest would be Grenchen LSZG but it’s SW of Zurich. Another option is St. Gallen LSZR but it is NE of Zurich and the same distance as EDNY (but on the south of the lake). Also LSZR is more expensive than Zurich, so I would not go for it. Next option is to still use Zurich – you can make a 20 minutes flight (min time for a local flight is 20 min) but make sure to reserve slots and check the prices for landing and handling, e.g. with MFGZ (www.mfgz.ch). I pay around 50 CHF for a PA34 landing + 18 CHF per PAX (prices have been reduced slightly recently, so you have to check again). I am not sure how much the handling is, as I can make it myself.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Hi Thimothy, you can fly to LSMF 1800m runway, but you need to get in touch with http://www.linthairservice.com/Contact/contact.htm
no clou what it will cost. But there are frequent flights to UK, so should not be impossible….

Ah! In that case, how about LSMD, do you think?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Hello Timothy,

I would not rule out lszh just yet, just send them an inquiry for the fees. I tried to calculate the charge for a PA31 and it comes up with about CHF 84 or Landung ATC and and noise! The rest should be manageable. Handling would be via MFGZ. If I am there, I can try to help a bit.

Best regards
Urs

edit: found the mistake in the noise charge, it was for night ops. The charge calculator is here:
https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/business-und-partner/flugbetrieb/gebuehren/charges-calculator

Be careful to enter arrival and dep time outside 22-06 LT

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 02 Feb 21:29
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hello Timothy,
I think the easies solution is EDTD. It is 1h10 minutes drive from Hittnau quite relaxed and reasonably priced. I think all alternatives in Switzerland will be more difficult and expensive.
LSMD is not possible (as far as I know only Gulfstream parking during world economic forum if no more space at LSZH)
LSZH can be expensive over 2 tons. One year ago we paid nearly 500 CHF for 5tons MTOW (handling by MFGZ). If you do two movements they probably charge you twice…

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 02 Feb 21:04
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Definitely not 500 bucks per landing for SEP/MEP in the classes most of us fly. I pay under 50, but I don’t pay for handling. Handling is about 20-25? Call MFGZ and ask them for a quote on everything, including the two approaches.

LSMD you can forget, no chance to get there. LSMF might be an option, but not sure if/when it is open for civil aviation.

EDTD is a possibility but it’s in Germany and to the north, so it might be too far for your passenger. I would rather pay 50 bucks more in Zurich than travel 2 hours to Donaueschingen.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 02 Feb 21:53
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think that rather than pack them off to EDTD, they may as well come to EDNY, really.

So I think the answer is to take Urs (@mooney_driver) up on his offer to help (he can come for the ride if he likes, this is to show the designer of flight sim force feedback controls what an engine failure in a twin really feels like) and if he can’t get the LSZH fees low enough, just get the guy to come to EDNY…it’s not that far

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy,

charges are as I quoted them to the best of my knowledge. You need to do a handling request to MFGZ at Zürich. I can help with logistics here if i am around at the day, pls let me know by PM when and what.

Looking forward to seeing you.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If you fly to LSZH and get to land on runway 28, that would be your chance to watch a glideslope which is predictably unstable at lower altitudes.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message