Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airfield Radio Operator uses FR24 to provide Radar Information!

I don’t need to know because FR24 does it for me :-p

EGKB Biggin Hill

@Timothy … are you trying to tell me that of all the new gear in your aircraft, none of it records your flight time?

EGTT, The London FIR

Peter wrote:

FR24 and all the others will just move to some country where they can’t be reached but can still take paypal payments…

And that is the beauty of the GDPR. The regulation applies to data controllers or processors established outside the EU but who are processing the personal data of EU citizens. It’s going to be hard to escape. This is a tectonic shift in privacy regulations.

EGTT, The London FIR

The mechanism whereby the NATS app would show tail numbers for Mode C targets would be interesting. It would be possible for aircraft talking to the radar unit. Whether this is real, only ATC would know and while half of NATS reads EuroGA, none have ever posted

OTOH NATS reportedly charge 100k a year for a radar feed so there has to be a catch…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

Rather than FR24 surely the app to use on the ipad is the new NATS one, which shows their data. It’s called Airspace Explorer and it seems really good to me.

I think this must only be available in the UK itunes store, as I can’t find it. If so, is the coverage also only UK airspace?

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

with just one centrally located antenna, on a hill

And that Holyrood park looks promising.
I`m joking, of course.

The NATS app I mentioned uses NATS data, so presumably Mode C traffic will be on there. The app tells you where and when it got data for each flight, sometimes it’s just a few seconds old, so nearly real time.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

FR24 and all the others will just move to some country where they can’t be reached but can still take paypal payments…

And you can pick up ADS-B from all over Europe with just one centrally located antenna, on a hill and with some decent electronics, so if when ADS-B becomes significant in light GA the whole monitoring and republishing thing will go out of control anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finners wrote:

FR24 […] exists purely for entertainment purposes.

Oh no it doesn’t. It exists to remove the need for me to log my times. It does it for me. It also logs my partner’s times, so I don’t have to bother him when filling in the a/c log book and journey log. A great asset.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Haha Earth`s axis tilted and it will continue to do so.

44 Posts
Sign in to add your message