Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airfield Radio Operator uses FR24 to provide Radar Information!

@Timothy,

My only reason for suspecting that many zones don’t have (or don’t use) Mode S is the regularity with which they scramble my call sign – from which I deduce, perhaps incorrectly, that they’re not reading it on a screen.

Of course there could be other factors, especially when they’re busy.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I know East Midlands don’t have mode S because I asked them for a check and they said they do not have capability.

Rather than FR24 surely the app to use on the ipad is the new NATS one, which shows their data. It’s called Airspace Explorer and it seems really good to me.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’d have to imagine all the high traffic airports (Manchester, Gatwick, Heathrow etc) would have mode-S capability, but certainly more GA-oriented ones may not, Gloucester for instance state on their website they only have primary radar. I know Blackpool probably has mode-C since they assigned me a discrete squawk last time I went there. Ronaldsway has at least mode-C and will certainly have mode-S when/if the new multilateration radar ever gets put into service (that’s been a LONG running saga, fortunately not one that I as a Manx taxpayer is paying for – the company supplying the radar is already paying hefty penalty fees for not getting it done on time – and I hope they can get it sorted out because then we’ll get radar coverage over the north. Many pilots continue to talk to Ronaldsway in the north, fly right over Andreas, not realising there’s a tug/glider combination climbing to their level that can’t be seen on radar due to terrain masking).

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I know Blackpool probably has mode-C since they assigned me a discrete squawk last time I went there.

This is not a reasonable conclusion. Many airfields (Biggin, Lydd for example) and London FIS, for example, have squawk codes to indicate that an aircraft is in contact with them, but no radar.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Bathman wrote:

It’s been discussed at my local airfield about setting up a pilot aware base station and displaying the output on a flat screen TV.

I quite like the idea.

They are much cheaper options out there.
To bad weather option not working in UK though.

Stratux

Stratux 1090ES & UAT – Radios and High Gain Antennas

ow can it be a national secret if a ATC position gets mode S data or not?

Sure, but there is a general discouragement in NATS to employee participation in forums. And a lot of stuff really is supposedly secret.

London FIS, for example, have squawk codes to indicate that an aircraft is in contact with them, but no radar.

FWIW, I have been to NATS and they told me London Info has full radar visibility, but since the people are not radar qualified ATCOs (they are FISOs) they are not allowed to mention this on the radio. There is much resistance from ATC unions to any erosion of these categories.

They are much cheaper options out there.

These receivers will presumably be disapproved of by the “civil liberties” people because they show all Mode C+S / ADS-B traffic, regardless of whether the operator has filed an objection (as many bizjet ops have done). But for an airport it would make sense because they would get good local coverage and not rely on whether FR24 picks it up and the operator has not filed an objection.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

alioth wrote:
I know Blackpool probably has mode-C since they assigned me a discrete squawk last time I went there.
This is not a reasonable conclusion. Many airfields (Biggin, Lydd for example) and London FIS, for example, have squawk codes to indicate that an aircraft is in contact with them, but no radar.

Yeah, but when on short final on Blackpool’s runway 28, you can see the radar antenna (it is entirely possible it’s primary radar only, I’ve not looked at it that closely).

Last Edited by alioth at 13 May 16:34
Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

These receivers will presumably be disapproved of by the “civil liberties” people

Well, there out there for so many years that I doubt.

FR24 feeders like myself, we use those receivers to send data all of the time in conjunction with raspberry pi.Personal I send data from two countries.
Everybody can do it.It is wise to select a location with coverage close to an airport(Ground coverage is essential!)

Worth to mention that if you send them data, your subscription upgrading to a premium account automatically.

I do enjoy Stratux without the weather option as well.Really cool.

Last Edited by at 13 May 16:52

Speaking of civil liberties, personally I am not in favour of the movements of my aircraft being publicly traceable and recorded on a global basis any more than I would be happy to have the movements of my car being publicly traceable and recorded. I think it is a gross invasion of privacy. Just because it is technically possible does not mean it should be done.

My aircraft details are blocked on FR24 and every other alternative that I am aware of – if it shows up at all it is anonymised.

I would prefer that it didn’t ever appear, but there is considerable resistance to this from the operators of such sites, for obvious commercial reasons. However, their commercial endeavours do not outweigh my right to privacy. Of course I am aware that I cannot prevent the owner of a Mode-S receiver from picking up my transponder, but at least that requires line-of-sight.

I have a feeling that the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) might put an end to private aircraft (at least those in EU citizen ownership) appearing on the likes of FR24.

EGTT, The London FIR

Finners wrote:

I would prefer that it didn’t ever appear

On that case, your aircraft may be a safety hazard.
Both voice communications(that as well live streaming in most countries) in combination with the ability to see your surroundings in the sky is a safe thing to exist.
There more than GA activity in our days out there.So the option for an end by my opinion does not exist.

I have the feeling that shortly on FR24 they will be both full-size aircraft’s accompanied with Drones

Sign in to add your message