Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is this one not selling? (MOONEY M20TN ACCLAIM SP-RAE)

Stuff which happened before c. 2003 is mostly not on EASA databases. It is held nationally. I didn’t know this applies to airframes too.

It is an interesting topic regardless because let’s say an autopilot has an STC for a M20N, but the STC does not mention M20TN. That STC cannot be used on an M20TN. But some installers have not spotted this sort of thing so it needs to be checked on a prebuy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are plenty of Acclaims and Ovations on European register as far as I know. They are under the M20 certificate, just like all the others.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

Lots of aircraft have no EASA TC. E.g. Cessna 172s up to the “P” model don’t

AdamFrisch wrote:
If you guys are searching for TCDS on the EASA website below it seems it only goes back to those that were certified after 2004 model years or where the manufacturer has somehow renewed their TCDS paperwork.

Peter wrote:
Stuff which happened before c. 2003 is mostly not on EASA databases.

Contrary to STCs, there is an EASA database for EASA type certificate aircraft grandfathered by national CAA in 2003.
It’s here [ local copy ] and included all EASA type accepted small aircraft.

• You can see that pre-2003 Mooney are “type accepted” by EASA based on their FAA 2A3 type certificate.
  • The M20TN is not in that list.
  • Pre-2003 C172 are accepted based on FAA A4EU type certificate.

But starting from 2003, an aircraft manufactuer had to gain it’s own EASA type certificate if it introduced new products.
So when Mooney had to modify their FAA 2A3 type certificate to include the G1000 variants, they had to apply for an EASA type certificate.
It’s here. [ local copy ]

• You can see it only covers G1000 M20M & M20R (post-2003 airframes).
  • And it doesn’t include the M20TN (which SP-RAE belongs to)

It is a well known fact that just prior the factory shutdown Mooney started the EASA type certification process for the M20TN but they shutdown the factory quickly after starting the process.
Mooney even sold a M20TN to a french M20M owner, provided Mooney came up with an EASA type certificate.
Mooney never got the EASA type certificate and the french Mooney buyer had troubles getting it’s money deposit back in ~2010.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 13 Aug 09:19

But even though it has no EASA type certificate as such, EASA may create a EASA type certificate for an individual airframe.
In that case it’s an EASA aircraft with Specific Airworthiness Specifications (SAS).
Again there is database for that here.
But I couldn’t find SP-RAE.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

There are plenty of Acclaims and Ovations on European register as far as I know.

Indeed, there are plenty of Ovations and Bravo EASA registered.
Pre G1000 aircraft are accepted based on the FAA 2A3 TC.
G1000 aircraft are EASA IM 266 type certificated.

However SP-RAE is the only M20TN Acclaim EASA registered I know of.
I still don’t know how it got it’s SP-reg and I would be cautious to move it’s registration…

Last Edited by Guillaume at 13 Aug 09:20

I believe that this plane is sold by now, I was looking into it and I have been told that the plane was used for medical transport (delivery of drugs to hospitals), thus the high hours.. Also it has been in an accident (the one described above), but as been told the issues have been resolved and the plane is ok.

Belgrade LYBE, Serbia
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message