Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus BRS / chute discussion, and would you REALLY pull it?

6’500 sleeping pills flying worldwide, and more than 300 sold each year. They must do something right.

I am now going to see my neighbor Fritz, who offered to put new horseshoes on my quarter-mile for a cold Calanda.

(35 engine events out of 85 CAPS events…. No comment)

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 27 Aug 16:38

Yes, the rate of engine failures is high – but not higher than in comparable airplanes. It’s still a shame …

BRS is a great idea and I would love to have one on my airplane. I’m sure the Cirrus is a good airplane too. But the claim that every parachute deployment (within operational limits) equals “lives saved” is nothing but hype. The reaction that people who complain of the hype is somehow opposed or even hateful to Cirrus aircraft is even more silly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Nobody ever said that, except Peter and you ;-)

The “chute pulled = lives saved” proposition is central to the Cirrus chute marketing argument. And that is what most outside observers disagree with.

Unfortunately, this kind of discussion is “dangerous” because as soon as the debate gets debated, so to speak, EuroGA gets slagged off elsewhere on the internet as being “Cirrus unfriendly” etc etc which is complete nonsense, especially as the biggest contributors to the forum, trip reports and turning up at fly-ins fly the SR22.

It’s a variation of the straw man argument.

That list of chute pulls reads horribly for the marketing machine. Loads of engine failures, loads of “activation TBD” and loads of “weather TBD”. Somebody is going to comment on them one by one (I am sure that’s already been done because it is such an invitation) but it won’t be me, because as an admin I am an obvious target

A pity because the SR22 is a good plane and probably the best touring SEP you can buy new right now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course the chute saved lives. Nothing wrong with that. So why should it not be said?
Want me to show you a list of TB20 accidents?
NO list of GA accidents – whatever type – is different from this list. These accidents are all very typical.
If you take that into account, then the list is not horrible for Cirrus at all. It is impressive how many people survived,

Unfortunately, this kind of discussion is “dangerous” because as soon as the debate gets debated, so to speak, EuroGA gets slagged off elsewhere on the internet as being “Cirrus unfriendly” etc etc which is complete nonsense, especially as the biggest contributors to the forum, trip reports and turning up at fly-ins fly the SR22.

I think you should relax a bit.

Last Edited by at 27 Aug 18:22

Alexis, you have either missed the point totally or moved the goalposts. Look at the straw man argument link I posted.

I am wholly relaxed; thank you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is not the first time you imply that Cirrus pilots simply “can’t fly”. And I think you should present facts rather than your personal opinion if you accuse Cirrus of misleading marketing. Please post an example or a reference, other than typical internet hear-say.

And please explain why such a feature – that nobody else has – should not be marketed.

You think TKS can save lives?

Last Edited by at 27 Aug 18:30

This is the CAPS guide by Cirrus. It contains some interesting additional information:

https://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/CAPS_Guide.pdf

I think it looks great for the marketing machine.

The engines are not made by Cirrus. However, Cirrus made something for the lesser mortals like us who think deadsticking at night, or water landing without floats are activities best seen on Netflix.

Sign in to add your message