Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the Jetprop finished / doomed in the long term, due to the G1000?

I don’t know why anyone would want a G1000 system over G500/G600TXi and a GFC500/600 with GTN.

KUZA, United States

AFAICT it is purely to do with getting a more recent aircraft.

If you convert say a 2001 airframe, you are still getting a plane which is 20 years old, and that’s before you started flying it. My plane is 19 years old now and while it is in a very good condition, it has over 2000hrs on it.

And a PA46 is not a 10hr/year plane. I reckon most airframes will be high-hour ones. And pressurisation cycling can’t be helping much, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The cell is certified to 10k hours. I don’t think I’ve yet seen an airframe with more than 5k hours for sale.

EGTF, LFTF

Peter wrote:

OK so no actual legal reason why a G1000 PA46 cannot be converted. Just nobody wants to fund the STC,

Even if you would fund the STC, getting the parts you need to retrofit the pressurization system with an “G1000 independent version” could be a significant challenge. You might either depend on salvage parts from older Malibus or have to do quite significant engineering to design some new parts.

denopa wrote:

The cell is certified to 10k hours. I don’t think I’ve yet seen an airframe with more than 5k hours for sale.

Agree to this: Haven’t heard of a Malibu that ran out of airframe life limit yet – neither of a crash that was caused by a structural failure of the airframe based on aging.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 30 Mar 05:43
Germany

This is relevant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
75 Posts
Sign in to add your message