Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the Jetprop finished / doomed in the long term, due to the G1000?

+1
10th anniversary of ownership next year.
Still brings a big smile every time l fly her….
E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

And you still have the pic of it in the EuroGA header

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Max wrote:

The jet prop has basically JET climb performance

Agree. Climbs about the same as a CJ4 on one engine.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

However, a CJ4 costs close to $10M. I reckon an empty 737 will go up even faster; reportedly it can reach 10000ft abeam the runway, if turning after a full power (wind shear requirement) departure On one engine it’s gonna be pretty quick too.

I still don’t see a single technical reason why the ex-G1000-airframe Jetprop should be dead. It’s clear you cannot retain the G1000 once you do the Jetprop conversion (because Garmin don’t support the Jetprop with G1000’s engine gauges) but starting with a G1000 airframe is no different to starting with any later-era pre-G1000 airframe in order to get a more recent airframe as a starting point. A G1000 ripped out and replaced with a G600 etc etc can’t be worth much more than about 100k which is about 10% of the cost of a Jetprop based on quite an old airframe. You still get a really great performing aircraft with a great mission capability and the best economy possible with any turboprop. The DOC is relevant because for 2x or 3x the DOC, but a similar purchase price you can fly a TBM700C2… a much stronger and bigger aircraft but with which you pay through the nose all the way, right up to paying in the region of 3x more for the landing and parking… The Meridian discussion is a different one; people choose the Jetprop over the Meridian for good reasons.

Administrator

I don’t know anything about Jetprops. The Bonanza G36 is ‘married’ to the G1000, you cannot take it out, it is part of the type certificate. Just adding WAAS or ADS-B can be a major headache. If you have an older A36 without G1000, you can replace any instrument in the panel with whatever is approved.

EBKT

The IO540-C4D5D is also on the TB20 TC but that does not prevent anyone getting an STC for another engine, for a turbo for the existing engine, etc.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It’s clear you cannot retain the G1000 once you do the Jetprop conversion

My Jetprop came equipped with the ‘wonderful’ Meggit Magic display which fortunately was only fitted to 1 side.

After starting and having to wait dead stationary for 3 minutes while it found itself (move 1cm and it starts counting again from zero), part of its MAGIC party trick was for the screens to go blank when you least expected it, like on an approach, some fun I can tell you.

So I fitted a G500 with sythetic vision which transformed the panel and the aircraft.

Is there any news on recent Jetprop conversions, such as the option mentioned here ?

Maybe @max knows more.

Administrator

Garmin now support PT6 on the G500TXi and G600TXi so this looks like a way forward, but apparently still not for the G1000 versions.

Administrator

I’ve heard that there still isn’t a solution for converting G1000 equipped PA46 airframes, and that the newest one which can be done is from 2008 (Avidyne kit) but don’t have any details.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message