Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Boom - supersonic bizjet

This video looks like material for a money grab from new investors.

Just like the Uniti car, marketing marketing marketing and still after fancy events and 4 years, all they have to show is an overpriced CAD model and a plastic non-functional shell “prototype”.

These kind of schemes keep on giving new promises and asking for more money until investors run out of money/get tired and shut them down.

Change my mind.

ESME, ESMS

There was another one I saw the other day, planning a 50 seat airliner to enter service in 2029. They have built a 1/3 scale model which they plan to fly next year. Apparently it is backed by JAL and another airline.

There is also the Aerion, on which a former instructor of mine is one of the senior engineers – though I have pretty much lost touch with him now. That has been in development for at least 10 years and afaik is still nowhere near flying.

LFMD, France

Dimme wrote:

These kind of schemes keep on giving new promises and asking for more money until investors run out of money/get tired and shut them down.

It’s not entirely impossible that supersonic flight may become a thing in the near future. The only thing that is certain is that if no one do anything, it will never happen. It’s like lottery, only much more productive for aviation related investors and companies. Lots of engineering, research and development goes into these things, it’s not a total waste of time and money.

It’s a bit funny though, with wordings like this (from the Aerion site)

A NEW ERA OF SUSTAINABLE SUPERSONIC FLIGHT
With the first new civil supersonic engine in 50 years, Boomless Cruise™ technology to ensure a sonic boom never reaches the ground, and the abilty to run completely on synthetic fuels, AS2 is a revolution.

Obviously, to get any interest whatsoever from investors, the word “sustainable” has to be in important part of it “Sustainable” transportation today comes in one of 3 flavors:

1. Electric
  2. Bio-fuel
  3. Hydrogen

Electric obviously work, and has done so for several generations in trains. Nothing beats electric when it comes to overall efficiency (which in everyday words translates to cost and less environmental impact). Battery power has become a viable alternative during the last 10 years. I’m already on my second electric car, and the nearest ferry has been electric for a few years already. Batteries are still too heavy for longer flights and larger airplanes.

Bio-fuel is more complicated politically. It also obviously works, and works using the same infrastructure and engines as fossil fuels. But the concept of using biological matter for fuel instead of food, and/or using unprecedented areas of new land, is not sustainable in the eyes of the public.

Using hydrogen has been around for many years as an experimental alternative, but has never really made it as a viable alternative. The reason being cost and complexity with production, transportation and storage. For short range aicraft, it could actually work, because liquid hydrogen has an energy content per mass like nothing else, only surpassed by nuclear. More than 3 x that of Jet fuel. The energy density per volume is not high though, and this will limit the amount of fuel one can carry in an airplane. The cost related to complications of production, transportation and storage will not simply go away though.

Extracting carbon from the air and making fuel out of it, is nothing but a fairy tale. Doable, yes, but there is no way to do it without using much more energy than you ever will get out again. By a factor 100 – 1000 at least. Plants do this, and has done so for ever. Billions of years of evolution, and the efficiency of producing plant matter from sun rays + water + CO2 is less than 1%. Then, the raw material also has to be refined, stored, transported.

IMO, hydrogen could find some uses perhaps within some niches, but in the overall scheme of things, nothing beats electricity. It’s super easy and cheap to produce in massive amounts, occupying no land to speak of (think nuclear). Super easy to transport and distribute. For low power applications, storage is compact, cheap, safe, simple. Works well for short range ships. Perfect for cars. The only thing it is not good at at the moment, is in fact as power for long distance ships and long distance airplanes. The point is that there is no other alternative either, except perhaps hydrogen. But then, hydrogen is only a (super complicated) energy transportation and storage system for (clean, compact) electric power made in nuclear plants. It will be super expensive compared with battery power. I’m talking cooled liquid hydrogen. It’s the only form of hydrogen that has any chance of being used in an aircraft.

The only viable, and “sustainable”, power for these supersonic planes is battery power and/or liquid hydrogen. I think everyone involved knows that. As such, it will be decades before we will see any commercial flights, if ever. But still, very far from impossible within the next 10-30 years. Well worth keeping some activity going for investors and aviation companies.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
LFOU, France

Seems lot of money is actually changing hands

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/16/american-airlines-agrees-to-buy-20-supersonic-planes-from-boom.html

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Aug 00:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

not really GA, but interesting enough

Boom Announces Successful Flight of XB-1 Demonstrator Aircraft
Inaugural flight marks major milestone toward return of supersonic travel. XB-1 provides the foundation for Boom’s supersonic airliner, Overture.

I have not really been impressed by American commercial development in the latter years… will this succeed?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

What was Concord’s CO2 product per pax mile?
How will Boom compare to subsonic aircraft, and the Pipistrelle long-range electric airliner which, by the time it is service ready, will be the competition?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Do you think anyone really cares ?
Interestingly the proposed “airliner” is not as quick as concorde and is half the size… I see it becoming a super-bizjet rather than airliner, where cost per seat mile rules.

How will Boom compare to […] the Pipistrelle long-range electric airliner which, by the time it is service ready, will be the competition?

That’s easy – they will be identical since, in all likelihood, neither will exist.

Biggin Hill

Dan wrote:

will this succeed?

Depends what their market is. Even Concorde was denied entry into the majority of places due to the sonic boom, even then. Which means this plane can only operate over the sea and also there only where it’s far away enough to not create noise.

Europe? Forget it. US coast to coast? Same thing unless their attitude has changed: Concorde was denied overflight due to the Boom.

So basically this is a high profile biz jet for overwater flying. I would not invest a cent into it but there are always folks with too much money who wish to believe in castles in the cloud.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message