Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 performance

My PS expertise is limited to Adjust Curves, and it isn’t the sort of curves you are thinking of…

I still think 155 TAS for that flow rate is pretty good, for a spacious 4-seater.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

0.1 gal/hr less

But your fuel contains more BTU and is heavier…

LSZK, Switzerland

Here’s a (not terribly good) photo of our TB20 panel at FL100. The fuel flow gauge is on the RHS so can’t be included but would match Peter’s.

I flew up to FL150 yesterday on a local flight (uncontrolled airspace around Gloucester) with an instructor (Rate One Aviation), partly to learn how to use portable oxygen and partly to appreciate aircraft performance at those levels. Being non-turbo, the throttle is fully open at about FL80 feet and you have to start leaning to maintain power from around FL120.

I was pleasantly surprised at the climb performance at that altitude, still getting around 500 fpm (the regulatory minimum for airways) at 95 knots (Vx), 2400rpm.
Sorry, no photos of that.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

around 500 fpm (the regulatory minimum for airways)

I guess this is a UK regulation? Is it still valid given SERA etc.?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

you have to start leaning to maintain power from around FL120.

You should start leaning long before that – I use the constant EGT method all the way from sea level.

I guess this is a UK regulation? Is it still valid given SERA etc.?

AIUI, you are supposed to advise ATC if unable to achieve 500fpm (up or down). In reality, when they see a little plane, they are not fussy, but very occassionally they get picky about it. I often descend at 100-200fpm if I have say 100nm to run, for best MPG during the descent.

In the router model I use a climb rate 1000 fpm at SL, 0 fpm at 20000ft and linear in between, which is about right in terms of the best achievable.

Administrator

Well I’ll give you climb rate advantage at altitude vs the Mooney M20J

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

All right you Fancy French Folding Gear Trinidad drivers, MOVE OVER you ar about to be overtaken by a plastic plane with it’s gear down !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@ 9500’ -3C°

152 K IAS

175 K TAS

11 Gal/H

Last Edited by Michael at 25 Mar 15:39
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

That is impressive!

Now, Michael, we want the full story here. What do you put in your fuel?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I looked for the cockpit dimensions of the 350 but could not find anything online.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message