Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some info on the DA42

Is it possible to upgrade an older DA42 to a V1?

http://www.diamond-air.at/austro_engine_upgrade42+M52087573ab0.html

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Initially you could “only” upgrade a Thielert DA42 to a DA42NG, but yes, looks like it now covers the DA42-VI as well!

It’ll be interesting to see if they could also retrofit the Garmin weather radar – that’d overall make this into a very desirable upgrade from a 1.7 Thielert!

Last Edited by Hodja at 02 Jan 16:17

How much is the tall canopy retrofit and what is the speed penalty for that?

Ditto .. what is the retrofit price to change to the new seats?

I don’t know how much a tall canopy upgrade would cost, but there is no speed penalty.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

If purchasing a Thielert 1.7 (250.000$??) and retrofitting it to a V1 – how much would it be and what will be different from a factory new V1?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

You would need to check with Diamond..

The DA42 TDI has evolved over the years. Not only the engines have gone from 1.7 to 2.0 litres, but avionics have changed too, notably the King autopilot becoming the Garmin GFC700 as of the middle of 2008. And lots of optional equipment became available, like premium interior, traffic.

If you’d take one of the first 1.7 versions (2005/2006, good deals) then upgrading to the VI would have to be quite expensive. Think autopilot, VNAV-capable G1000 panel. Also, some of the aerodynamic differences and the alleged weight savings simply are not retrofittable. Like the new rudder design, smoother TKS mounting. The most important aerodynamic improvement that increases cruise speed is the new cowling design, and that would be available though.

I couldn’t find any information about single engine range. My mission profile would include flying over large areas of water

Paris, France

Not published AFAIK. I guess the idea is to go find an airfield when you have an engine failure.. From memory I think the IAS drops from 135 KTAS with two engines to about 90-100 on one engine, adding power to about 90% on the working engine, but I am not entirely sure. Actually, the range should not suffer. Obviously you will crossfeed, within allowable limits of weight difference between sides. And you may not wish to run a tank completely dry..

Actually, the range should not suffer.

It should suffer by a great deal actually! An engine running at 90% is much less efficient than an engine running at 65% and the asymmetric flight wastes a lot of energy. However, the number is very easy to calculate. You know the fuel flow at 90% on one engine and you know the TAS you get on one engine (or you can test that easily).

At 135 KIAS, 75% power, the Thielert uses 5.7 gal/hr per engine so 11.4 total. So 11.84 NM/gal.
At 90% the engine uses 7.2 gal/hr. So if it flies 100 KIAS with one engine: 13.9 NM/gal. If it flies at 90 KIAS: 12.5 NM/gal.
Holy Moses, what have I been doing? Should have flown with one engine!

Sign in to add your message