Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Next step - turboprop vs twin

The SR22 chute has failed a number of times. The failure rate probably comes out at several % which is quite poor for a parachute.

We’ve had various threads – example. Another. These threads tend to generate a lot of hot air and a mass exodus of people, especially from particular countries. Put SR22 in the Search box and set aside a few days

There is also a significant % of cases where the pilot was too low – example.

The SR22 will quite possibly greatly increase the chances of your wife/GF flying with you, due to the chute. And it is a good SEP, although not really with a better despatch rate per equipment level i.e. TB20 v. SR22 or TB21 v. SR22T than your TB20. The turbo giving FL250 capability is good for some warm front scenarios, with everyone wearing masks. After you’ve done that a few times you will be back here asking for prebuy advice on Jetprops.

Cessna 421C or MU2? Is this some sort of joke? Read the OP again.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Cessna 421C? Is this some sort of joke?

Why? Quite a few pilot were happy with that one…

EGTR

A slightly different angle, if I may.

While I don’t know the European situation, in the US it’ll be impossible to get insurance for any of the airplanes we’re discussing here with the OPs stated 200 hours. At a very minimum, you’d be looking at 500 and even then be prepared for 20-50 hours under supervision and eye watering rates.

The old types, some very capable indeed, require a particular “type of owner”, and nobody actually knowing them should recommend them with a straight face in this case.

Administrator

There is also a company in the US renovating Dukes and adding turboprop engines.

France

Peter wrote:

The old types, some very capable indeed, require a particular “type of owner”, and nobody actually knowing them should recommend them with a straight face in this case.

Peter, doesn’t mean that 421 is a bad aircraft, yes you need to know what you are doing. Same for any turbine (if not more).

EGTR

Peter wrote:

The SR22 chute has failed a number of times. The failure rate probably comes out at several % which is quite poor for a parachute.

Have those failures happened within the operating envelope of the parachute?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Talking of twin turbo props I know a couple of private pilots who operate King Air C90s here. One is based at Sarlat Domme which IIRC is 745metres. It has a service ceiling of 30000ft and cruises 75% at 275kts.
I tried one with a guy I shared piston twin with, he was a TRI and TRE on King Airs, but I found it far too big for my liking. But I have the same comment on the TBM which I also tried with another instructor/examiner.
I just couldn’t see myself turning up at the aircraft on an evening and pulling it out to go for a quick local flight, and not being a professional pilot or needing an aircraft for business anymore, it just wasn’t for me.
But it was reasonably easy to fly once I got used to all the instruments.
And you can get a pre owned one starting at around €500,000.
Running costs are much the same as a TBM 850 at between €1000 and €1300 per hour.

France

The point about statistics is that it is fact. There is no probably If you want to make a point about a failure rate, then give the facts. Otherwise it’s just opinion.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

And you can get a pre owned one starting at around €500,000.

Sure; a real dog (English slang for some shagged example). I’ve seen bizjets for 500k too.

Have those failures happened within the operating envelope of the parachute?

Some yes, some maybe. But in the end, does it matter? If you can fly (or force land) the plane in all scenarios, you don’t need the chute Useful tool for reducing risk (real, perceived and spouse-perceived) but it’s not 100% reliable. In particular, not generally usable in the circuit, which is when mid-airs are most likely.

doesn’t mean that 421 is a bad aircraft

I didn’t say it was bad. I was saying you need to match the aircraft to the owner’s engineering and other tech and maintenance capability. I have previously written about a particular 421C owner and his despatch rate reports (great, but so was his aforementioned capability). No way would I recommend a 421C to the OP in his situation.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message