Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney TLS Bravo

There are preciously few M22 left. I almost bought one of them a few years ago, but it appears I got lucky not to as it suffered a gear collapse shortly after the new buyer got used to it… It is a nice plane with Malibu like performance but not for the fait of heart.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 23 Apr 07:56
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Will test fly an M20M Bravo in coming days, my pre-buy didn’t go well so I’m looking again on a Bravo.
I can always loose 15kg in weight so get good W&B in it :-)

Report will come!

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

What happened with the Encore you were supposed to buy?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

What happened with the Encore you were supposed to buy?

Had pre-buy yesterday, Corrosion in 6 cylinders… with deep pitting.
With all that corrosion they suspected corrosion inside of engine too.
Compression was OK, but I got recommendation to more or less overhaul engine if I bought it in very near future.
They told me straight out they thought engine was worth only core value.

Worst of all, seller did know about it. But didn’t tell me the background of the aircraft and especially the engine.
Aircraft was on ground for over 2 years without flying.

No schematic on avionics installation what so ever, nothing. (All papers was OK, but no documentation)
Some other minor stuff, else aircraft was in OK condition.

For the moment I’ve canceled that deal :-(

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

A bad engine in a pre-buy is the easiest thing to fix: adjust the price and plan for an overhaul and associated groundtime. This can be a good time to do your other planned upgrades. If you don’t want the groundtime then you are right: best to look for something more readily flyable

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

A bad engine in a pre-buy is the easiest thing to fix: adjust the price and plan for an overhaul and associated groundtime. This can be a good time to do your other planned upgrades. If you don’t want the groundtime then you are right: best to look for something more readily flyable

Yes, I got a quote from PMM to overhaul it.
Downtime is in best case 4-6months or longer if unlucky.
Overhaul cost is €69000+vat (No Turbo, Wastegate etc) and then the installation work ~50h
So most likley €80000+vat in total.
Seller was willing to discount €30000

I want something to fly with this summer, and then plan when it’s time overhaul.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

There is little that money can’t buy ;-)
If you buy a factory reman engine, your downtime will could go down to about 3-4 weeks. I have no current comparison – some years back it was 50k€ overhaul vs 63k€ factory reman Lycoming io540. Prices have gone up since, of course. Unavailability of extra parts and downtime were big enough arguments for me…
Seller not willing to move is unreasonable, of course.
If the seller discounted for an overhaul, one could fly it and watch with 25hr oil analysis intervalls, if all else looks fine.
(I understand, merely what-if in this case)

EDM_, Germany

Antonio
LESB, Spain

God damn I better not need a new one any time soon!

ELLX, Luxembourg

Darkfixer wrote:

Seller was willing to discount €30000

That depends on hours remaining to TBO “on paper” . For example if TBO is 2000hrs and 1000hrs remain to TBO “on paper”, then he should discount around 50% of OH costs or at least €40k from baseline price, unless it was already heavily discounted. In your case the critical aspect is whether it is flyable or not. Cylinder pitting is not necessarily immediately grounding (I seem to recall Lycoming did not have a guidance on this whereas CMI does, but happy to stand corrected) .
Cam or lifter wear as well as metal production in the filter (for which there is indeed Lycoming guidance) can easily be grounding factors and drive engine removal.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message