Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MCR4S

I just looked up the list of MCR4S accidents on Aviation- Safety. net.
The one I referred to was in 2009 F-JZLI
We also must remember that these are kit built aircraft and their quality, of course, depends on the builder.
What is even stranger, is that Wikipaedia refers to is as 2/4 seat kit built ultralight.

France

There is a Dyn Aero MCR Pickup. It’s basically the MCR4S built with just two seats to meet the weight requirements for a microlight. The lack of the back seats just leaves extra space.

It’s the same aircraft just with the back seats not fitted.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes and I note the empty weight of that is 260kg with parachute.
If that is correct it can carry 5kg more than its empty weight as a ULM.
That is even lighter empty weight than the Super Guépard. Amazing.

France

gallois wrote:

Yes and I note the empty weight of that is 260kg with parachute.

I don’t think that’s the case for the MCR 4 Pickup and even for sensible equipped (MCR01) ULC difficult to achieve.

EDLE

The 01 is ok, the 4S has a pretty worrying safety record, no?

always learning
LO__, Austria

The safety record of the home built MC100 and the factory built MCR Sportster was less then stellar to say the least
At the time I was fascinated by the efficient design and exceptional empty weight to MTOW ratio.
With benefit of hindsight, neither of those would be my choice

Poland

RV14 wrote:

At the time I was fascinated by the efficient design and exceptional empty weight to MTOW ratio

Same here. When I was looking for a plane with decent performance, which can be derigged and trailered (there really aren’t many with this feasable option), the MCR01 Sportster was also among my favourite choices. However a closer look reveiled, that the extreme low weight comes at a price and so I went for a Europa – and didn’t regret it

EDLE
Looking on the internet, MCR4S has had 13 accidents since 2005 with a total of 17 fatalities most of which were in Africa.

In 36 months there were 21fatal accidents in what is thought as the safest of SEPs, the Cirrus. (Source Cirrus pilots.org)
The MCR Pick up is an ultralight based on the MCR4S design with rear seats removed.
130kts TAS FL65
2690km range
20 l per great 75%
200m take off distance
Parachute
Useful 265kg
On 100hp
I have flown an MCR4S and the MCR01 and enjoyed flying both. That was back some time ago and they have improved.
Back then I was more interested in the TwinR version. I thought it would be a useful step up from the Cri Cri🙂
But Dyn aero got into problems, and then the DA42 arrived. Not perfect but much lower fuel consumption and Jet A1 or diesel, so much less expensive fuel wise.
At the time 100LL had just taken a huge leap in price whilst at the same time I could no longer reclaim the VAT.

Last Edited by gallois at 24 Apr 14:27
France

MCR4S are more in the 350+ kg empty weight region. Those I have seen are between 360 and 390, with various equipement.
The best option to have is the 200l tank, that can get you 10+ hours of flight. With 750kg as MTOW, you have a pretty nice margin for your stuff, you will miss some place but not weight.

LFMD, France

That’s why I was surprised to see it listed as a ULM. But now I have looked at the Pick Up which is basically an MCR4S without the back seats. I am even more surprised to see the figures for the Pick Up.
I could seriously consider one. The range could be very useful.

France
Sign in to add your message