Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Vanishing Act of Quality EASA SEPs in 2024: Discussion

TB20
TB20
TB20GT unfortunately in Australia
TB20 also in Australia

There are many more US located but ferry is feasible. And there are several TB9 significantly below 100k – you just have to start asking and negotiating but you constantly refuse this. I just checked single manufacturer and got a dozen of planes.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

hazek wrote:

And 135kt TAS at 12GPH is pretty bad NM per gallon per hour. It’s Bonanza territory

Even the IO-520 type will achieve 135 KTAS on around 9.5 USGPH. The vintage E-series Continental which is a brilliant design (quirky electric propeller, oil system), will achieve 135 KTAS on 7 USGPH, which can also be Mogas.

hazek wrote:

I’m thinking of starting forum posts for ads that I see where I will critique the absurd price, and we can do that together

The GA market, is what it says on the tin, a market. As @Peter mentions, there may be a wide bid-offer spread for some GA types (definitely not all), but as in any market, you might disagree with the prices, but then don’t buy. Relatively to the much more active USA market, the European market tends to be, if anything, underpriced. There are some national registrations where the pain of an export CofA and re registration means those airplanes offered for sale have acquired permanent/eternal residency in that jurisdiction, but within schengen the market is reasonably accessible. In the UK I opt for N registration.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

but then don’t buy

It’s not me who isn’t buying. I’m watching ads that are online for more than half a year already, some even more.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Most sellers won’t be on EuroGA.

By my observation, many or most of the nicer planes are never advertised when they are sold, and I would think that EuroGA is as good a place as any to find them… although knowing people face to face is probably a better way to convince the proud owner of a nice plane that you’re the right buyer.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Jan 17:11

My conclusion is that there are decent planes, fairly priced but one has to engage.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

My conclusion is that there are decent planes, fairly priced but one has to engage.

Agree. In our club we bought a DA40 and a SR20 by sending letters (old school – hard copy!) to owners of these airplanes in the US within a bracket of model years where we thought we could get a deal. Bought both off-market at a good price. Don’t know if that sort of database exists in Europe, but it worked for us.

The subject implies that there are few quality EASA SEPs on the market. I don’t think that’s true. It’s something different than advertised plane prices vs quality. As mentioned several times, the advertised price is just the price wish of the seller. Has always been. Has nothing to do with the deals being made. And from the comments here it‘s clear that the advertised planes are just a (small?) subset of those available for purchase.

LSZK, Switzerland

Well I paid practically what the seller was asking, but even so it was a very good deal. Absolutely reasonable. There simply is no other plane alike that fits my needs (e.g. 6 seats) and is comparatively cheap to fly with. As we settled it I got a load of parts on top. A complete second exhaust, cloth covers that cost 4 digits and load more. Parts that are unobtainable or just expensive. That was a lot better than dealing about some money.

Germany

hazek wrote:

I’m watching ads that are online for more than half a year already, some even more.

For what it’s worth, I was watching for almost 2 years before stumbling on my current plane via a prebuy of another plane. 6 months is a pretty normal time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Maybe you’re right @Mooney_Driver since as it so happens, I’m going to have a look at something recently advertised this Saturday. Looks great, totally reasonable price and seems like well cared for. Let’s see if it’s a match. I’ll report back.

ELLX, Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message