Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best aircraft for European trips

UdoR wrote:

If you’re worried about noise take a close look at a Piper Comanche from C series. Never flown a quieter cabin without pressurisation.

And yes, VFR cross country needs a lot of experience ..

I just looked at it, very interesting but I have no way of finding cockpit noise level. Can you share more please?

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Dan wrote:

riddles
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Identical threads merged.

Let me make a slightly different point.

A lot of types are easy enough to keep going in the US, due to a wide availability of facilities, A&Ps, parts, etc – basically the whole “economy of scale” stuff.

In Europe some of these will be an absolute bloody nightmare.

Tonight someone asked me if I can help out with an o-ring (no kidding, an o-ring) which started life at about 10 quid and now lists around 400. Why? Because this is Europe, this is EASA, the real (OEM) P/N os deliberately obfuscated by the mfg, and the maintenance industry will not entertain any customer-procured parts.

Of course someone will now point out to me that there is a Part-ML concession allowing this but I am talking about the reality on the ground, not in some Cologne committee room where they came up with a great proposal (almost equivalent to being on the N-reg) but nobody considered that every Part M outfit has to keep putting bread on the table at home. And they aren’t achieving it via volume

Everyone will recommend their favourite type but few will lay down their trials and tribulations

My writeup on the TB20 (generally very suitable for Europe) is here but that doesn’t avoid all the ripoffs, either…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Everyone will recommend their favourite type but few will lay down their trials and tribulations

I love our P210 but am the first to add that it is not for everyone, hence explicitly recommended other types in response to the original OP.

One of those was a 182 RG, and I would like to mention two interesting examples I went into today at our airfield:

An R182 for sale at Ibiza. Recently painted, moderate avionics (a GNS430) and original interior.

Let me know if interested and I’ll give you a contact. I took these pics today:

I also found what is probably the most beautiful example of the type in the world, this FR182.

An excellent paint job in original scheme, beautifully restored original interior, and the best possible avionics suite with dual G500txi, GTN750, GTN650 and GFC500…

Perhaps our local expert @Johnh would care to comment on these

Last Edited by Antonio at 28 Aug 22:32
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Perhaps our local expert @Johnh would care to comment on these

I don’t think I’m an expert, but I did fly a TR182 for nearly 20 years. The second one looks very nice and the avionics are superb. It’s not a turbo, and also (more important) I get the impression that it’s not for sale.

I do miss my turbo. For pottering along at typical VFR levels (under FL100), you don’t need it. But if you’re going to fly IFR you’ll end up going higher.I had to nurse my n/a TB20 up to FL110 for our flight to/from Croatia. I doubt I could get it much above FL140 no matter how patient I may be.

Remember that the TR182 is turbo-normalized. That means the engine is under no more stress than an n/a aircraft, unlike say a Turbo Arrow. I only had one turbo-related mx issue in 20 years, which was fixed by a turbo overhaul.

I was happy enough with the GNS 530/430 setup I had, but now I’m used to the GTN750 I would never go back. It’s a complex beast but once you’ve figured it out, it is a dream to use. You would get RSI setting up the route I had for going to Croatia on a 530- even though of course you don’t actually get to fly most of it.

LFMD, France

Remember that the TR182 is turbo-normalized. That means the engine is under no more stress than an n/an aircraft

It’s a good point generally but there’s a bit more involved. An air cooled NA aircraft decreases available power as cylinder cooling decreases, both with altitude. If you have enough cooling regardless with the turbo-normalized version, then no problem.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Aug 01:11

johnh wrote:

You would get RSI setting up the route I had for going to Croatia on a 530- even though of course you don’t actually get to fly most of it.

Not if you had a Garmin Flightstream installed.Easy, peasy, plan everything in FF and transfer to the panel with one click.

I had to nurse my n/a TB20 up to FL110 for our flight to/from Croatia. I doubt I could get it much above FL140 no matter how patient I may be.

Something very wrong going on there – see e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not suitable if OP wants sole ownership, but we’ve got shares for sale in a 1999 C182S based at EGLD Denham.

No turbo, and not terribly fast (125TAS @9.5USG/hr) but decent UL of 1100lbs, decently sized tanks (88USG), and most importantly, no political hassles with the group, maintenance or the airfield.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

If the plan is to fly London→Bergerac for the weekend, maybe something fast is required. @xavierde I have a PA46 based at Fairoaks that I’ve owned on my own for 10 years and I’m now looking to sell shares in. DM me if you’d like to know more.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message