Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best aircraft for European trips

A bit tongue in cheek but at £7k a year 10+years ago, the OP would be better off hangaring a plane at La Rochelle LFBH at around €1800p.a
and Ryan Airing it over here when he wants to tour Europe.
A couple of guys I know have a beautiful well kept M20K here. They may be interested in selling a share. They might even agree to fly it over to the UK to pick him up when he wants to go touring especially if he pays the fuel and drops them off back here before he starts touring. 😁

France

gallois wrote:

€1800p.a

That is a bargain! What’s the catch?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

gallois wrote:

A bit tongue in cheek but at £7k a year 10+years ago, the OP would be better off hangaring a plane at La Rochelle LFBH at around €1800p.a
and Ryan Airing it over here when he wants to tour Europe.
A couple of guys I know have a beautiful well kept M20K here. They may be interested in selling a share. They might even agree to fly it over to the UK to pick him up when he wants to go touring especially if he pays the fuel and drops them off back here before he starts touring. 😁

I’d do that at Bergerac but the idea is to use the plane to fly from the UK to France on weekends.

Last Edited by xavierde at 24 Aug 13:49
KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States

That is a bargain! What’s the catch?

• cheap land / low population density
  • local CofC funding for the hangar
  • somebody has good local political connections

None of these apply in the prosperous parts of the UK. Funding is nonexistent except in places like Welshpool (Wales).

The business is also inflated by a number of customers, probably on £200k+, who pay lots of money for a zero-hassle package. Look up the old 147 SR22 groups. They were very expensive SR22 rental.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s what I was paying at LFBH for my small twin a few years ago plus I have added a bit for inflation.
We also.have several aerodromes round here with the possibility of renting a hangar.

@xavierde I did say it was tongue in cheek.
It.was just the £7k a year before inflation could buy a private jet or 2 over that distance.

Last Edited by gallois at 24 Aug 14:04
France

We also.have several aerodromes round here with the possibility of renting a hangar.

You’re extremely lucky. Everywhere I’ve asked in or near the Landes responds, at best, with a sucking of teeth and some variation of “ca va etre difficile”, or at worst a shaking of the head.

LFMD, France

Snoopy wrote:

If the latter isn’t required, a DA42 is ideal due to Jet-A availability.

A DA42 works fine out of a 600m grass field. There is one based here at Speck LSZK that flies a lot. Check HB-LUH in FlightAware (the owner is revalidating his MEP so there are a lot of short flights at the moment…. not typical). Sure, MTOW on a >30° day wouldn’t work, but the DA42 has such marvellous range that there is a lot of flexibility. But if the budget is ca. €200k, then even the DA42 (less than the DA62) is way beyond that.

Last Edited by chflyer at 24 Aug 15:18
LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

But if the budget is ca. €200k, then even the DA42 (less than the DA62) is way beyond that.

Yes, it should be twice as much as the budget

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes, it should be twice as much as the budget

Even that would be a bargain these days…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So after much deliberating, I went ahead and completed my EU conversion to PPL instead of keeping the ULM. I am considering moving forward with IR rating. My plan has really changed and now decided to buy a certified “real” plane rather than LSA or ULM.

I still want to do cross country trips with my wife but have the opportunity to take 1 or 2 more people once or twice a year. When it is just the two of us (skinny people) I want to be able to take off with full fuel (or almost) and be able to carry around 100KG in the odds times (moving our stuff between houses).

Before, the consideration was to fly from Portugal each time but that has changed too and for the 5 months (May-Sep) we will be based in middle of France so speed is not as important as before.

My budget for a plane (before surprises, upgrades etc) is about 120K Euros and about 2000 per month for flying, hoping to put around 90-100 hours a year. I looked at the Mooney m20J, Piper PA-32 six or Lance non turbo. Many people say the Mooney is very loud in the cockpit is that true? Also, how critical is IFR to travel summers around central/northern Europe and winters in Portugal/Spain if I am flexible a bit?

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal
Sign in to add your message