Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Questions about Mooney Ovation 2

It’s a good thought but…

Having two planes sharing one owner can be a problem. I used to have two quite different planes, BTW with a combined initial purchase price of only $57K. Keeping up with maintenance/inspections and flying proficiency in both was beyond what I could do. Maybe if I had ‘people’ or didn’t have to work…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Oct 11:25

At one point in the time I owned 3 aircrafts and it was a nightmare I wanted to get out from ASAP.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I also came to the conclusion that there ain’t no perfect aircraft for every mission…
I have the possibility to rent a Cessna 172 or PA 28 Archer for those kind of missions.

But an Cessna 172 or Piper Archer is nothing that I want to own by myself, then I can rent them.
Would like to have the “next” level like Turbo Arrow III, Beech F33A, Mooney M20J/K/R or maybe an Cirrus.

Hopefully soon I’m done with my CB-IR so a well equipped IFR aircraft is a must.
If it’s a 530/430 or 750/650 is not that important, even if I would prefer an Garmin 750 any day of the week.

TKS equipment would be nice, since I’m living in Sweden and next coming weeks we soon have 0 degree at 2000-4000ft…

Should I guess my mission would be something more specific like:

50% of the time I fly by myself.
25% with a friend or friends.
25% with family.

25% Shorter trips around the field. (Training, nice evenings etc)
50% 1-4h trips from ESMS → Denmark, Sweden, Germany.
25% Longer trips from ESMS to LFMD and other nice places out in Europe.

My budget is 20000-25000 EUR for maintenance and flying where I hoping for 50-70h of flying.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Your profile warrants an Ovation. It’s also the best looking aircraft out there so you know what to do 😬

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

it’s also the best looking aircraft

She has a certain appeal

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Oct 15:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Darkfixer wrote:

My budget is 20000-25000 EUR for maintenance and flying where I hoping for 50-70h of flying.

EUR25K PA – I think it is enough even for DA-42! :) @Emir would know…

EGTR

I understand the soft spot in your heart for a „real metal“ airplane, but for the Ovation budget I’d look at an SR22

Fast ✅
Comfortable ✅
Family acceptance ✅
Ok on grass ✅
TKS ✅
CAPS ✅ (what’s piece of mind worth?)
Very good training ecosystem ✅

The stuff for half or less of the above budget is cool for people like me, because living within means bla bla ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Darkfixer wrote:

50% of the time I fly by myself.
25% with a friend or friends.
25% with family.

25% Shorter trips around the field. (Training, nice evenings etc)
50% 1-4h trips from ESMS → Denmark, Sweden, Germany.
25% Longer trips from ESMS to LFMD and other nice places out in Europe.

An Ovation will do that fast and efficiently. Even a 201 would do this profile quite nicely, about 20 kts slower but maybe 100k less expensively and even more efficient than an Ovation does. All in all, the Ovation is a plane which not many people let go of once they got used to it. And you do get the occasional rised eyebrow if you arrive from destinations well over 1300NM away non stop. I recall one guy who flew his Ovation 1 back from the Canaries to Switzerland in one go, he landed with about 1 hr of fuel on board and a huge grin on his face.

So will a Commanche 260 or a Cessna 210, the latter having a large payload and still pretty decent short field performance. The Cessna 210 is maybe the only plane in this range which can really carry 4 and airline style baggage of 23 kg each. And in certain configurations, it’s range is also quite impressive.

If you are shopping for a G1000 Ovation, make DARN sure it’s got WAAS. If not, upgrading is next to impossible and viciously expensive if you can. (Same goes for other G1000 planes btw, stay away from non WAAS G1000’s.) In fact, you may well find a decent Ovation 1 for quite a bit less than a G1000 one which will do the same kind of mission but you can upgrade the panel to your own liking much easier.

As for an SR22, it is of course a very good choice. Payload is a factor on some of them, but not worse than the Ovation. And it does have that family factor on it (the shute) which may well make a difference in the family’s readiness to come along.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Ovation 2 is just 1 door, no? They did 2 doors about 5 years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Ovation 2 is just 1 door, no? They did 2 doors about 5 years ago.

The Ovation 1,2,3 are Mooney M20R. All those have one door. So does the Arrow btw.

The only Ovation with two doors is the Ovation Ultra, M20U. As far as I recall, only one was ever sold, all the other “Ultras” were Acclaims.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message