Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elfin - a hybrid motor glider

My biggest concern about this type would be the questions on the stability of the manufacturer and hence mid- to long term support.

The story seems to be that Rainer Stemme cashed out 10 years ago by selling his company (and the fabulous design of the S10/12) to Remos and is now building a new company that is basically a plagiarism of his own design that he sold.
There are some such cases that did not end up too well…

Germany

Remos and is now building a new company that is basically a plagiarism of his own design that he sold. There are some such cases that did not end up too well…

Oh I don’t know, Audi worked out OK.

Seriously though… what technology does this “rotary” engine use? When I saw the first post I immediately thought of a WW1 style “rotary” with the cylinders whizzing round a fixed crankshaft, but it doesn’t seem to be that – sadly! I remember seeing recently something about a company in the US building a four-chamber rotary type engine which from FL500 looks a bit like a Wankel. Is that it?

LFMD, France

According to Geiger homepage (linked before here) it is a four stroke Wankel rotary engine, running at up to 8000 RPM (however not comparable to piston RPM). If it’s used as “range extender” to charge the battery in flight (or reduce discharge) it might have an interesting future. It’s then some sort of hybrid.

Germany

Inkognito wrote:

My intention is to do excursions from Berlin to say, the Alps for an extended weekend – go there friday afternoon or saturday morning, bimble around, fly wave or below the relief of the mountains, all the fun things – and go home Sunday evening.

Yeah I know a guy who did that in Belgium took off flew to the Alps quite often for soaring and back in an S10. The stemme is another price category. I understand your point of view. The AMT Super Ximangos seem to have a better soaring capability. True about the Grobs and Taifuns… I flew ASW20, motorgliders in a different century now I like to go fast mostly in a straight line..:-). Still I may go back to a TMG just for the fun…..all the rest of the self launchers too much hassle of mounting.

Last Edited by Vref at 23 Feb 12:26
EBST

I have done some wave flying in (SF25C and G109B) all were one week trips or expeditions to France & Scotland, it’s lovely to just depart when weather opens, drive on low MPG, land & park for free, camp and socialize with the hosts, fly without the hassle of landouts…it’s the best of the worlds but I would not do it every season if you see what I mean, especially the return flight, it’s boring, I would simply join my club expedition in M20J, DR400, A320, Nissan…and fly a pure glider

For those with dedication, we had someone at the gliding club who bought Alisport Electro and he flies it from UK SE to Scotland every year, it’s very short range FES and such trip needs lot of patience (he is a retired ex-USAF Colonel with thousands hours flying Eagles at Mach2.0 in UK)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message