Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acquiring PA30, and temporary permit (G-reg)

Will be interested in the cam pics…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

New hoses is probably a great investment. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

Speaking as one who has taken a PA30 Comanche apart, and spent a few years tinkering with one as a hands-on owner… I would generally avoid taking things apart but if it’s unflown since 2006 and the engines haven’t been inhibited then you’re into project territory. We were looking at a Grumman recently that was standing for 2/3 years, my partner looked at the oil on the dipstick and declared the engine f#$ked. Someone else bought it, and true enough when they took it into his maintenance workshop the cam was corroded and the wing spar too. You will have a hell of a job convincing an engineer to sign for two Lycomings standing for 15 years without taking the 8 cylinders off.

If it were mine … Send Recovair to get it on a truck, get Aerofab or Wiltshire AC Maint to put it back together. Get Deltair to strip and inspect the engines. Get General Aero to strip and seal the props.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Thanks Peter, I’ll get around to telling the whole story soon (it’s a longish one and has some background to fill in) – we use Saywell at work, will certainly use them for this project.

WilliamF, pretty much my thinking – I’m working for WAM at the moment so am happy with the taking apart and putting back together, but if it’s avoidable it saves work and the risk of damage, hence investigating the slim possibility of a ferry flight.

Engines are an interesting one, I scoped the bores and there was no surface rust in them, they were like new, so hoping no damage to the engines, but didn’t have time to pop a cylinder before accepting the aircraft and coming home.

I was looking at getting Brinkleys to take care of the props as we’ve sent a few their way recently with great (and quick) results.

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message