Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acquiring PA30, and temporary permit (G-reg)

Hi All,

I have a quick question, I have acquired a PA30 twin commanche, it’s on G reg and stranded in Annemasse as the CofA expired a number of years ago.

I’ve been out and had a good poke around it with my mechanic glasses and see nothing wrong with it, in fact even the bores show no sign of corrosion – props overhauled 5 flying hours ago, but waaaay over calendar time.

Currently going down the path of taking the wings off to trailer it home, but – has anyone had any experience with getting a temporary permit to fly from the CAA so we can fly her home?

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

It should be possible to do. I found this with regards to temporary flight permits.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Airworthiness/Certificates-and-permits/Permits-to-fly/Part-21-temporary-Permits-to-Fly/

So basically someone needs to sign off for the ferry and then you can apply for a ferry permit.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think this is an aircraft that I was asked about a few months back, the problems are going to be with AD’s that will have to be attended to before the ferry permit can be issued, the subtle change of CAA rules has narrowed the field for EASA companies certifying and work .

As for the ferry flight it will be an all VFR trip but as the aircraft has no 8.33 comms you best rig a handheld radio to one of the com antennas.

I would only take the wings off the aircraft as a final resort, the cost of shipping would be huge and the risk of damage high so bite the bullet and get the AD,s done even if it requires the props & Mags overhauled and refitted, get it done now and you will be ready to fly the aircraft back when the weather has improved.

I wish you luck with the project, if we are talking about the same aircraft it is far too nice to be scrapped and deserves a new lease of life.

Is this G-ASSP? I like the early TwinCom with the rear bench seat. While the CAA process is relatively straightforward, an inspection/sign off for the ferry permit request and paperwork/CAA fees, I wonder if a UK CAA ferry permit on a G-reg is valid in EU airspace?

The bungee AD might be overcome by flying it home gear down?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I’m sure Newbie will be delighted that you’ve shared the reg and so increased the competition!

Forever learning
EGTB

He’s already bought it (post #1).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks all for your input,

Yes – I have the key and docs, paperwork submitted and going through the process of figuring out how to bring it home in the safest (to the twinkie) manner, either way (fly it or drive it) we are bringing it back end of Feb.

A_and_C, I have planned for removing the wings and trailering her back, but having checked it over (it really is in very good condition) – it seems like it would be much easier to fly it home with the (as mentioned) associated lower risk of damaging anything in the disassembly/transport/reassembly process.

I believe that if I get a permit to fly, I will need overflight permission from the DGAC – and potentially to have to comply with any requirements that they set separately to the CAA.

I will keep everyone updated on progress with this project anyway, as there doesn’t seem to be much info in the public domain about the hoops that the CAA might want me to jump through for a PTF.

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

How long is the list of getting her back to “normal” airworthiness?
Calendar times and such should be no problem with a self declared AMP. But ADs and a bunch of other stuff should be taken care of.

ESSZ, Sweden

Its quite a long list, but no more than a normal Annual would be – the logbooks state that all ADs were complied with up until 2006, after that it didn’t fly again.

Having spoken to our Cert, at a minimum all hoses are going to have to be changed and the props inspected with a quick check of the camshaft in each engine by popping a cylinder off – so nothing too onerous, its just the getting it back without damaging it, or it costing the earth that is the next challenge.

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

This must be quite an interesting story… how you found this plane, etc.

It is a bit brave to fly one which has sat since 2006. But I know someone who retrieved a similarly abandoned C172 from somewhere in Greenland (presumably abandoned from a ferry flight), flew it back from there, and it ended up living on an A-to-A AOC doing sightseeing

For hoses, Saywell in Worthing, UK, are good. Engines can also be inspected this way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message