Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a Colomban Cri-Cri

No it wont be snowmobiles then. But its an engine from some such toy. I just can’t remember what it is.

France

gallois wrote:

But its an engine from some such toy

Snowmobiles are no more toys than cars, or tractors, semitrailers, ships. In France maybe, but not around here. They can be used as toys of course, but so can everything.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I found this:
“Engines are used very different plane by plane. Common are engines from lawnmower, motor-cycles, and also from RC models. Also was installed jet power. Average prop size is about 70 cm, and power of each engines are between 9 and 20 PS. Nowadays, builders are using engines Valmet, JPX, Limbach, 3W, Rotax, Zenoah, Hirth, and I am glad to see, that are recommended also Czech ZDZ Model”
And this:
MC10 cri cri weighs approx 63kg
MC 12weighs approx 75kg
Wing area 3,1 m2
Weight 63 kg 75 kg
Weight at take-off 170 kg for both
G’s +9G, – 4,5G for both
Max speed 200 km/h MCR10 250 km for 12
VNE 260 km/h
Cruising speed 170 km/h MCR 10
185 km/h for MCR12
Climbing speed 3 m/s MCR10
6 m/s MCR 12
Distance to take-off 150 m 120 m
Ceiling —- 5,5 km (1,2 km with one engine working)
Range 750km for MCR10
500km for MCR 12
These are from someone in CZ
I haven’t any figures for the MCR15 or the jet or electric variations.

France

Dan wrote:

Re the Cri-Cri, we had 4 of them in CHE, each one flew for a couple of years and was then de-registered, and probably recycled.

I think one of them also crashed.

I was wondering about electrical engines for them. They might be the perfect vessel to use them, a small, very light weight airplane. Question is if it can carry the necessary batteries.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Oops I’ve obviously done something wrong, I didn’t put a line through things intentionally. I have no idea how I did it.

France

At the moment the Cri Cri performs very well with electrically driven engines. In fact the performance is better according to sponsors Chrystaline and Airbus. The problem is no range. At the moment they are struggling to get an hour’s flight out of the batteries. But they are testing still.

France

Oops I’ve obviously done something wrong, I didn’t put a line through things intentionally. I have no idea how I did it.

You accidentally used the strike-through text attribute – see Posting Tips.

If you write

then you get

some text

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for all the replies!

Silvaire wrote:

What engines are fitted, and what is their condition?

I believe the original Limbach engines, so no longer produced.

Sebastian_G wrote:

Yes but at some point you will want to take at least minimal luggage, travel a bit and flying with 2 persons is just more fun.

The beauty here is that I could probably afford to continue my current flying club membership where I fly a two seater (regularly with passengers) as well as owning the Cri-Cri, which I would keep in the hangar at work and go for some fun on a Friday afternoon once I’ve finished for the day. I would otherwise absolutely not consider it. For me, a large portion of the enjoyment of flying is introducing others to aviation.

Unfortunately, the question seems to have found itself a solution; the advert no longer appears online so I assume it’s sold. Thanks for all the advice and anecdotes, regardless!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

kwlf wrote:

In the US, kits were sold on license. However there were some changes made, and the US versions sometimes aren’t safe. I don’t know how many of these aircraft made it to Europe. They were marketed as the Zenair Cricket.

I remember that saga, something to do with flutter, which seems to be a repeating theme with Zenair designs. The company was actually Canadian, founded by Christophe Heintz, a Swiss educated Frenchman (Alsatian) who designed e.g. the metal Robins before emigrating to Canada where he operated for many years. His son further emigrated and now operates Zenith Aircraft in the US, selling the CH series. His father passed away this year in France.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Dec 16:21

I’ve always wanted a Cri-Cri. And someone on these forums actually put me in contact with an airline pilot who owned one and thought about selling, but nothing came of it. They do fly one one engine, I’ver heard from a user. And I’m sure it would be possible to upgrade to a small 4-stroke. Go for it!

Sign in to add your message