Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurer for a G-Reg aircraft based in Germany?

Peter wrote:

So a German insurer refusing to insure a G-reg, due to brexit, given that it is 100% legal to keep a G-reg in Germany, is incredible.

I think the assumption that an insurer refusing to insure a G-reg due to Brexit may be rather a case where an insurer is not legally allowed to do so. In some countries insurance companies and brokers fall under the same, or similar, financial regulations and oversight as banks. Perhaps not all companies in Germany meet the requirements in this case, due to changed financial regulations related to Brexit.

LSZK, Switzerland

So a German insurer refusing to insure a G-reg, due to brexit, given that it is 100% legal to keep a G-reg in Germany, is incredible.

What should I say? Croatian insurers (all except one) refuse to insure SE-reg aircraft based in Croatia owned by Croatian company. Sometimes you can’t fight against people who are clueless about their job and lazy to check regulations.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Interesting.

There are bound to be many others affected by this. G-reg are perfectly legal to be based in Germany, and the UK recognises the use of EU EASA pilot licenses for them, and IIRC allows EU EASA66 mechanics to work on them, until at least 31/12/2022.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do business with Haywards in the UK (OK-reg aircraft based in Spain, and before PH-reg based in Spain, always worked). They have solved the Brexit issue by acting though a EU party. This is from their standard letter to customers:

Hayward Aviation is currently permitted to arrange insurance policies for our EU1 customers because of passporting rights which exist between the UK and the EU. After the Brexit transition period ends (currently anticipated to be 31 December 2020), those passporting rights will no longer be available to us. We therefore need to make some changes to the way in which we provide insurance services to you.
When the Brexit transition period ends, the services currently provided to you will need to be provided through another company in the Gallagher group based in the EU. This will not affect our ability to arrange your insurance cover but we will need to engage with you slightly differently.
That other Gallagher group company is Nordic Försäkring & Riskhantering AB (“Nordic”), which is authorised as an insurance broker in Sweden by the Swedish regulator, the Finansinspektionen.
As an established Swedish broker, Nordic holds the appropriate passporting rights to operate in all EU territories. This will allow us to provide you with a seamless continuation of relationships and services. Nordic will adopt Hayward Aviation (“Nordic trading as Hayward Aviation”) as one of its trading name

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

How do they distinguish between a G-reg and say an N-reg, both of which are non-EU?

I don’t know the details, but it seems that it has to do with fallout from Brexit, apparently EU-regulation related and rather complicated….. so I’m told. The N-reg situation is not new and if there ever was an issue it must have been addressed long ago, since there are many N-reg insured within the EU. The Brexit one with the UK is recent though, and it seems that the EU rules are not (yet) the same as for other non-EU countries.

LSZK, Switzerland

How do EU insurers underwrite insurance for N-regs based in Germany?

Sometimes things are less obvious in the heat of the moment

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

How do they distinguish between a G-reg and say an N-reg, both of which are non-EU?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It must be, because pre-31/12/2020 there were loads of G-regs based in Germany.

Yes, this is a “Brexit” issue. There are now prerequisites resulting in only certain EU/German insurers being able to issue contracts for G-reg. But it is possible. I’ve PM’d @By9468840 with a contact who should be able to sort him out. Anyone else having this issue, just PM me.

LSZK, Switzerland

Is it due to Brexit?

It must be, because pre-31/12/2020 there were loads of G-regs based in Germany. It was widely done to get around the Cessna wing spar AD, as well as other reasons e.g. the plane was previously on G. The most famous former EuroGA resident was on G over there, for years

But the commercial motivation is obscure. Every other reg in Germany can be insured OK.

Cars have always been different, probably because you could avoid speeding and parking tickets with a foreign reg car.

Administrator

gallois wrote:

Is it due to Brexit? Even before Brexit people in France driving round in Brit registered cars I am told were only covered for 90 days in any one year.
Many who did longer thought they were simply avoiding the 6 month legislation on vehicle registration in France, they hadn’t realised that much more seriously they were uninsured.
French insurance companies would only insure such vehicles for 6 months giving time to re-register.

I don’t think that’s the issue, there is an overall difficulty in getting planes insured at the moment, we’ve changed insurance company as well but through the same broker.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message