Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurer for a G-Reg aircraft based in Germany?

Hi

Asking for a friend. He is having troubles finding an EU insurer to have his G reg Comanche 180 based in Germany, insured.
So far the few German insurers he contacted refused to give me a contract. The UK based insurers require him to be UK domiciled.
So he is quite stuck in a bad situation. Does anyone know an EU insurer who would insure a G reg while still based in Europe?

thanks
Baris

Switzerland

Asking for a friend. He is having troubles finding an EU insurer to have his G reg Comanche 180 based in Germany, insured.
So far the few German insurers he contacted refused to give me a contract. The UK based insurers require him to be UK domiciled.
So he is quite stuck in a bad situation. Does anyone know an EU insurer who would insure a G reg while still based in Europe?
thanks
Baris
bq. Quote

Our Commander, as long as it was still G-OOJP registered (later D- and in the meantime sold) was insured by VFS Heinz Grümmer GmbH.(broker). POC Stephan Grümmer [email protected],
Phone +49 231 92 71 77-26
I don’t know if their policy changed after Brexit but you can ask.
Good luck.

Last Edited by gildnn at 04 Aug 08:58
EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

thank you!

Switzerland

Our Comanche 260C (on G-REG) based in France is insured by 100% Great Lakes Insurance SE. We went through Sidney Charles Aviation Insurance Brokers. PM me if you want their details. (not affiliated with them in any way)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I have never heard of an insurer refusing any aircraft reg, if based in the relevant country.

So a German insurer refusing to insure a G-reg, due to brexit, given that it is 100% legal to keep a G-reg in Germany, is incredible.

I would call Haywards. They are not the cheapest and probably won’t do it, but they have been in the business since for ever and might know somebody. Tim Proctor.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is it due to Brexit? Even before Brexit people in France driving round in Brit registered cars I am told were only covered for 90 days in any one year.
Many who did longer thought they were simply avoiding the 6 month legislation on vehicle registration in France, they hadn’t realised that much more seriously they were uninsured.
French insurance companies would only insure such vehicles for 6 months giving time to re-register.

France

gallois wrote:

Is it due to Brexit? Even before Brexit people in France driving round in Brit registered cars I am told were only covered for 90 days in any one year.
Many who did longer thought they were simply avoiding the 6 month legislation on vehicle registration in France, they hadn’t realised that much more seriously they were uninsured.
French insurance companies would only insure such vehicles for 6 months giving time to re-register.

I don’t think that’s the issue, there is an overall difficulty in getting planes insured at the moment, we’ve changed insurance company as well but through the same broker.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Is it due to Brexit?

It must be, because pre-31/12/2020 there were loads of G-regs based in Germany. It was widely done to get around the Cessna wing spar AD, as well as other reasons e.g. the plane was previously on G. The most famous former EuroGA resident was on G over there, for years

But the commercial motivation is obscure. Every other reg in Germany can be insured OK.

Cars have always been different, probably because you could avoid speeding and parking tickets with a foreign reg car.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It must be, because pre-31/12/2020 there were loads of G-regs based in Germany.

Yes, this is a “Brexit” issue. There are now prerequisites resulting in only certain EU/German insurers being able to issue contracts for G-reg. But it is possible. I’ve PM’d @By9468840 with a contact who should be able to sort him out. Anyone else having this issue, just PM me.

LSZK, Switzerland

How do they distinguish between a G-reg and say an N-reg, both of which are non-EU?

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message