Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper PA28 Owner/Pilots of EuroGA

Interesting read!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Nice link, thanks!

EDHN, EDDV, Germany

A comparison of PA28 wings from an ex-Cessna assistant professor. I’m not into the Hershey/taper wing controversy, but found the engineering perspective interesting.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Does anyone know why the Arrow wasn’t marketed with an (I)O-540? It would be the next logical step, and the Pathfinder and Dakota airframes had the carburated version. Maybe to not compete with the Comanche? Would the nosewheel retraction interfere with the extra cylinders? Or was the Turbo Arrow deemed enough?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

That one looks really nice and correctly priced (a na arrow 3). Had I the cash,…
https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=54887
planecheck_OY_CJB_54887_pdf

LFMD, France

Does anyone know which wing type carries ice better. The slab wing or the later tapered example?

The difference is very marginal for icing on descents…we can debate on climbs and cruise but without idea on excess power these questions are moot

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I picked up some ice in my slab wing PA28 last weekend. Not much and had no effect. I descended into out of IMC and into warmer air and it melted soon enough.

Does anyone know which wing type carries ice better. The slab wing or the later tapered example?

“(with a CFI of course)”
Try the roundout at altitude to see if you have a problem.
Would the CFI be able to save the low-altitude situation if you couldn’t round out?
Would he let you do it?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

… but I prefer light and responsive controls, even if that means there is less stability in cruise flight. I want to be able to e.g. change speed and then make a minor trim adjustment to remove the out of trim control force, not have pitch forces that force the use of trim in process, before I’ve reached the target condition.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I also prefer to fly like this, and have only been flying light 2-seaters so far. So going to a somewhat stiffer 4-seater was very different than what I was used to. I didn’t have a problem with the Robin though. @Capitaine also said above that he needed to get used to the heaviness of the controls when moving from the Robin to the PA28. So that is a confirmation of what I experienced flying the Robin and PA28 back to back. There are downsides of course regarding stability – with the Robin I constantly needed to make small adjustments, whereas the PA28 just stayed where I put it.

I would like to try out one scenario in the PA28 (with a CFI of course) and leave the trim at cruise setting, then try to fly a pattern and flare – I’m curious if the control forces would turn into a real problem in such a scenario. Probably not for someone with a lot of strength, but for me … I don’t know.

LSZF,LSZK, Switzerland

@andy_flyer, it’s been a long time since I was in a PA-28 of any variety so I can’t comment on elevator forces on the type, but I can say that I’ve flown several other common types that have control forces so high I wouldn’t buy one, or enjoy flying one regularly. An early Cessna 180 and 1990s Mooney were like that for me. A C-172 Reims Rocket was also heavy in pitch, more so than the two seat Cessnas, but not so heavy as e.g. the Mooney which was like arm wrestling to me. Early Piper Cubs are also a bit like that, before the issue was addressed in the Super Cub. I’ve heard people describe the Diamond DA-40 as highly responsive when to me its pleasant enough but responds in roll like a big, gentle sailplane given its long span. Early Citabrias despite being aerobatic are likewise lethargic in roll, at least until the factory put spades on the ailerons to lighten them up a bit.

Other people find all these types perfectly acceptable for their use, but I prefer light and responsive controls, even if that means there is less stability in cruise flight. I want to be able to e.g. change speed and then make a minor trim adjustment to remove the out of trim control force, not have pitch forces that force the use of trim in process, before I’ve reached the target condition. In the roll axis I prefer to fly with my finger tips to correct for turbulence in cruise, not my biceps.

I’m guessing your observations just reflect the comparison with what you’ve been flying previously, and now find you prefer. Fly another Piper if you’re really interested in the type, and otherwise just fly what you enjoy flying. I’ve found it really important to ‘try before you buy’ and not assume everything is like you’re accustomed to flying… because it isn’t.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Dec 17:02
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message