Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft shortage

Hello EuroGa.

Today I did some instrument flying and what good fun it was too.

I have also been planning and preparing for my trip to Unst. For those that don’t know where Unst is; it is an airport/town at the Northern most top of the British Isle, East Coast Scotland on the Shetland Islands. If I have that not exactly correct, someone I am sure will pipe up.

Anyhow, no matter how much planning you do, it matters not if you have nothing to fly. For the first time in around 10 years, I am struggling to find a reasonable aircraft to hire at Shoreham to do this flight. I have one more call to make on Friday and then I shall have to think on a plan B.

I have been wondering to myself whether this is now a sign of the GA fleet finally starting to shrink, leaving a vacuum or if it is just a blip in the system or just isolated to Shoreham at the moment. How I envy sole aircraft ownership.

I did however get all my paper work certified in anticipation to convert to the EASA licence. Just holding off for my renewed IMCr which will hopefully be done and dusted next week and my medical which should be done and dusted the week after. It is ironic that to do a change of address on its own seems to involve more paper work than the EASA conversion. I also got me level 6 English thing signed off so its offical, I can speak English. Not sure what I have been speaking for the last 100 years. Gibberish some might say. Hahahahaha

So over all not a bad days work…………even if I spent the pennies rather than earn them. :-)

Hope you all had a good day too. Bye

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

If someone is going to buy an aircraft to rent then there are very few options. You need an engine which is less than 8 years old and with a 1000 hours left on the engine. Anything else and you want get any return on your investment.

The end result of this is the only Aircraft that you can buy are shagged out ex flying school hacks.

I looked at a lovely C150 absolutely mint. 600 hours on the engine. Working localiser and glideslope. Working ADF. Would have been ideal and all that for 8 grand. The problem the engine was 14 years old.

Bloomer – don’t the schools still hire out aircraft?

Or is the issue that you can’t hire one for a trip of a few days’ duration without having to pay for say 3hrs’ flying every day you are away (the normal deal at most UK schools, AFAIK).

The best best thing after outright ownership is a syndicate, of several like-minded people, but I am sure you know all that Finding the people is much harder than finding the plane.

I didn’t get my Level 6 signed off till I turned up for the JAA IR checkride in 2012! It was discovered then that I was not a proper English speaker so the shortcoming had to be rectified before further proceedings

I fly out of Shoreham so maybe we can do a trip together one day?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, I would enjoy doing a trip with you. Think I would glean a lot.

I belong to 3 schools at Shoreham. Two having nothing suitable at at the moment and the 3rd, aircraft already book on the last day of intended flight. I would meet any hour restrictions as I think they would get close on 20 hrs. I could join the remaining 3 schools but that does not appeal.

A 235 I used to fly is due back from a fancy glass refit so I might have that to use if hourly rate sensible and if it is indeed back in time. Anyhow I am sure it will sort itself out. Could use a C152.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message