Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft registers and accident databases by country, and contacting aircraft owners

Much depends on what the reason for the contact is. I would assume that Emir is not going to be sending out Croatian villa time sharing proposals

When EuroGA was started (Oct 2012) I emailed several k of contacts I had accumulated from 10 years of my flying and website writing. It was hugely successful. I would say 0.1% wrote back, objecting, but I could have guessed who they would have been anyway I had weeded out the known troublemakers anyway before the mailing. They discovered EuroGA soon enough anyway but not before a nice friendly community was up and running and by then there was nothing for them to stick their teeth in.

GDPR is a huge topic, mostly misunderstood, and I am not even going to get started on it, it is country-dependent, and if somebody wants to discuss it in detail (with all the country dependencies) please start a new thread. I confidently predict that nobody will But you need to spend only minutes to discover what a huge hassle it has been for the running of volunteer organisations.

Thread merged into an existing one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

In that case many EU member states do not understand basic GDPR principles. E.g. the Swedish CAA makes registrations available online except for names and contact details of individual owners.

Sweden is a very, very open country when it comes to sharing data and not comparable to almost any other country. I agree with Peter, this topic is highly country specific, in law and even more in mentality, even though we have an European framework, and shouldn’t be discussed here.
Pointed to excess – ‘if you trust somebody else as Swedes do to each other, you’ll most probably be dead in most countries’

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 16 Jan 08:13
Germany

Much depends on what the reason for the contact is. I would assume that Emir is not going to be sending out Croatian villa time sharing proposals.

This reminded me about one Croatian joke. A cheap guy is submitting the announcement of his father’s funeral to the newspaper. And the operator says: “For this price you can extend it a bit, you can add 5 words.” And a guy says: “Ok then add I’m selling olive oil.”

I think you do not fully understand one of the basic GDPR principles…

Claiming that someone doesn’t understand something based on your perception of particular topic actually shows your level of understanding.

If you set up a company and you’re the only owner, in majority of EU countries owner’s (or authorized representative which is very often the same) data are available as well as company’s financial data (usually for some small fee). Comparing this to company owning the aircraft data availability (combined with spotter’s pictures and content published on social networks), I don’t see more strict GDPR requirements.

Anyhow, I got few good advices, few useful comments and few indications of cultural diversity on EuroGA.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Comparing this to company owning the aircraft data availability (combined with spotter’s pictures and content published on social networks),

Replace your ‘company’ in that sentence with ‘being an air transport operator on AOC’ and you are right. Spotter business is a very hot disputed topic, as well as the web portals publishing personal data by displaying all traffic on the internet.

Just do the Opt-In instead of Opt-Out and you’ll be fine.

Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

Sweden is a very, very open country when it comes to sharing data and not comparable to almost any other country. I agree with Peter, this topic is highly country specific, in law and even more in mentality, even though we have an European framework, and shouldn’t be discussed here. Pointed to excess – ‘if you trust somebody else as Swedes do to each other, you’ll most probably be dead in most countries’

Not so fast… We are talking about two very distinct things. One is the Swedish principle of public access to official records (part of the constitution) which means that the aircraft registry is open for anyone to access. The other one is GDPR which limits access to personal information. This apparent contradiction is generally resolved in Sweden by not making personal information available in “automated” form such as on the web, while making it available in other forms – e.g. by e-mail request.

Information about e.g. the type and age of a particular aircraft is not personal information so not protected by GDPR, nor are the name and contact details of a corporate entity. Of course nothing stops Germany from making its registry secret, but claiming that it is because of GDPR doesn’t hold water.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Of course nothing stops Germany from making its registry secret, but claiming that it is because of GDPR doesn’t hold water.

Nope, as Germany does allow personal solo entrepreneurs in lieu of and virtually indistinguishable from ‘fully fledged’ companies, which indeed in its setup is a local speciality and renders GDPR being applicable. Even further, those regulations make it mandatory to use your name as company name, which may, but is not obliged to, be amended by something showing your field of business, rendering the concept of ‘names’ to distinguish people from companies unusable (i.e. many, if not most, of the fast growing crowd of Digital Nomads are in the cat). As Peter wrote, a highly complicated topic due to local characteristics.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 16 Jan 08:59
Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

Nope, as Germany does allow personal solo entrepreneurs in lieu of and virtually indistinguishable from ‘fully fledged’ companies, which indeed in its setup is a local speciality and renders GDPR being applicable. Even further, those regulations make it mandatory to use your name as company name, which may, but is not obliged to, be amended by something showing your field of business, rendering the concept of ‘names’ to distinguish people from companies unusable (i.e. many, if not most, of the fast growing crowd of Digital Nomads are in the cat). As Peter wrote, a highly complicated topic due to local characteristics.

However… but what level of GDPR prevents country to publish list of registered aircrafts along with type and possibly airworthiness data?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

MichaLSA wrote:

This is no different in Sweden and in those cases the entrepreneur’s name is not shown. Again GDPR is no excuse for hiding contact details of an aircraft owner in other cases.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

This is no different in Sweden and in those cases the entrepreneur’s name is not shown. Again GDPR is no excuse for hiding contact details of an aircraft owner in other cases.

I fully agree, but as I said earlier it is a widely prevalent part of German mentality to seek for problems instead of solution, and if no legitimate problem can be found then one is promptly imagined. Sorry, for the off-topic but it is something I hope taking a “European” perspective can help us grow out of.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Sorry, for the off-topic but it is something I hope taking a “European” perspective can help us grow out of.

Yes, off-topic, but sorry, No, I doubt European Perspective will help.
Just heard they now even cut showing caller-id for roaming due to GDPR (friend was calling and no phone number displayed) …

Germany
Sign in to add your message