Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft registers and accident databases by country, and contacting aircraft owners

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s pretty poor excuse for Germany because in that fashion any work on providing data to public can be avoided. I understand that if the owner is a private individual the data is not public but in case of company ownership that doesn’t hold. And even if the complete owner data is omitted, I can’t get the purpose of protecting registration and aircraft type.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

the biggest IFR community in Europe

and quite a few VFR as well…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

But usually you get the trustee name only.

That’s the problem with contacting N-reg owners in Europe based on FAA data but maybe trustee can forward the invitation letter.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I understand that if the owner is a private individual the data is not public but in case of company ownership that doesn’t hold.

I think you do not fully understand one of the basic GDPR principles: if you have positive evidence that a collection of data may(!) contain data of individuals, you have to treat the whole(!) data sample as underlying strict regulations of personal data. This was necessary to avoid having personal data as ‘mistakes’ in data samples. There was a half-started debate whether registration is personal data, but as we know rather many aircraft set up so only one pilot owner can fly the aircraft, so consequently the whole registration data base is under strict protection as personal data.

I’d be very careful to store such data without written consent of the owners and that is the reason I’d go for Opt-In, prepare the database on people willingly share their data and definitely putting everything in by themselves. I’d better not do that myself – imho.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 15 Jan 19:30
Germany

Emir wrote:

Luxembourg – not available.

It used to be, but got pulled, maybe/probably as result of GDPR. The underlying law hadn’t changed last time I checked, so maybe it would be actually available by request. Dunno.

archive.org has old versions still :)

ELLX

Emir wrote:

What puzzles me completely is that German register is inaccessible which for country with highly developed aviation and public services is totally unacceptable.

I have to say I’m with the Germans on this one. There is far too much PII available on the internet, much of it published by governments. I’m happy the GDPR came into effect, and would like to see it actually enforced.

@Emir, a bit of unsolicited advice, you might alienate your target audience if you start spamming them. The game has changed, you have to make yourself known, add value somehow, and encourage them to come to you. Seth Godin has some good advice for doing what you are trying to do. Good luck!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@emir, might be best to contact the likes of AOPA to let the public know… I’d be upset if someone sent me unsolicited correspondence.

EGTR

MichaLSA wrote:

I think you do not fully understand one of the basic GDPR principles: if you have positive evidence that a collection of data may(!) contain data of individuals, you have to treat the whole(!) data sample as underlying strict regulations of personal data. This was necessary to avoid having personal data as ‘mistakes’ in data samples. There was a half-started debate whether registration is personal data, but as we know rather many aircraft set up so only one pilot owner can fly the aircraft, so consequently the whole registration data base is under strict protection as personal data.

In that case many EU member states do not understand basic GDPR principles. E.g. the Swedish CAA makes registrations available online except for names and contact details of individual owners.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I tend to agree that sending a mass mailing, either via post or email, may well end up in many people’s waste basket or spam. Even if not, it may have a negative impact on some. Unsolicited emails are generally considered bad form. There is also now a law, I believe, against adding an email address to a mailing list without express permission of the address owner.

Is it planned to set up a web site for the organization?
Two suggestions:
1) Once registered, set up a minimal Facebook page encouraging people to join the organization. Perhaps include a form or link to the web site and put the membership form there. I’m not a fan of Facebook, but a lot of organizations now have a presence if only to make themselves known and point people to their web site.
2) Prepare a brochure and distribute it at Aero Friedrichshafen and airfields you visit, similar to what Peter has done with EuroGA.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message