Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airborne weather radar versus satellite radar data

Is there any option to install a small weather radar antenna on/under the wing of a small single engine aircraft?

Would such a small radar increase awareness to a point where it would make sense? The new Doppler radars should be effective enough on close range, on top of an existing stormscope.

With current technological advancements, I am sure there must be a small, let’s say 6 inch radar on sale somewhere…

Last Edited by AlexTB20 at 06 Jun 01:12
LRIA, Romania

HI Alex! Is that for a TB20? I am not aware of an approved modification for the type. Perhaps @Peter would know.

You can get similar functionality using satellite weather, although not real-time as onboard radar (typically 5-15 mins delay)

Have you also considered a stormscope? This will not give you a warning of precipitation but will definitely indicate real-time convective activity. There are approved Stormscope mods for a TB20.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I have seen one fitted to a Beech Bonanza 36 with a turbine conversion.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

They come standard on PA46 and TBM but I imagine a regulatory challenge to get approved for a new type.

EGTK Oxford

I would imagine the flight testing profile for the STC would be non trivial.

Otherwise, there are products on the market which could be used.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

You can get similar functionality using satellite weather, although not real-time as onboard radar (typically 5-15 mins delay)

Ground stations will tend to have reliable data than own airborne radar, the latter may have too much of false returns?
In the other hand they are not scanning straight ahead of you, so you probably need both satellite & airborne weather

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

I imagine a regulatory challenge to get approved for a new type.

No, just straightforward engineering. We do this all the time.

Last Edited by mh at 06 Jun 10:58
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

No, just straightforward engineering. We do this all the time.

Can you please post details @mh?

People would find it useful.

Otherwise it is just advertising, and everybody sees it as such, so it doesn’t bring you any business.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Worth thinking about the 5 kias penalty observed on the PA46 when radar equipped.

EGTF, LFTF

It is intended for a TB20. I already have a WX-500 stormscope insralled, but it doesn’t remotely compare to a modern airborne precipitation radar.

Apart for the obvious STC or Major Alteration approval needed, as well as the expected speed loss, there doesn’t seem to be any commercially available product, except for the big pods (10" or bigger) intended for more powerful turboprops.

For now I rely on sattellite weather, but Golze doesn’t cover Eastern Europe and the Thuraya internet connection I use always drops when most needed…

Last Edited by AlexTB20 at 06 Jun 14:11
LRIA, Romania
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message