Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AIPs Germany VFR

If you zoom in in SkyDemon you will see that a lot of fields, even really big ones, have their VRPs and VFR paths to the pattern. Add a phone call to the airport before takeoff, I have not bought the DFS pack yet.

ESMK, Sweden

If you need a small part of the AIP-VFR AD2 (a few aerodromes), phone the AIS-Centre (AIS-C) number on https://secais.dfs.de/pilotservice/home.jsp?lang=en and ask nicely. They will email it to you. Next time you go to the same aerodrome, call, say you have version last revised (date on the plate), and are there any newer ones or are yours still good? They will also send you the whole AD1 section if you ask. I never asked for other sections (GEN and ENR); maybe they would also send them wholesale.

ELLX

When going to Germany keep in mind there are three AIP parts in a somehow messy configuration.

The AIP part covering IFR flights according to ICAO standards is free as it has to be by international standards. Solutions like Skydemon or FF will have the IFR-AIP included, but be careful, those are not always complete.

The AIP part covering VFR is a paid DFS product and you get it by paper or by paid subscription in a moving map application. As the moving map solutions pull quite incomplete structured data, reserve some time to browse and check the presented VFR-AIP. VAC purchases are mostly only that, the visual circuits, which can be ‘interesting’ btw. Again, many solutions present incomplete data.

The third is the MIL-AIP part you have to know and which is also free on the net. Some examples of strange things: #1 you find the minimum vector altitudes for IFR not in IFR-AIP, but MIL-AIP, together with the geomap of RADAR frequencies #2 the night flying military ED-R150 is in MIL AIP, so beware of flying NVFR without proper preflight preparation.

For airfield information and VFR day operations, the hint to Fliegertaschenkalender is a very good one.

When using moving map software, make absolutely sure to read all NOTAMs! They are not always depicted usable in the different software solutions and there is almost pestilence of NOTAMs in some areas.

Last Edited by at 21 Jan 13:50

Design4p wrote:

Can anyone suggest anyway of obtaining the AIP’s or the same info with any cost.

If you don’t mind the media break, you may use paper. The Flugplatztaschenbuch costs 22€ incl binder. I prefer it over the AIP content-wise. However, I barely use it anymore in Germany as SD (without the AIP) works for me. It is handy for the occasional PPR and tel numbers, though. The German vocabulary used is self-explanatory.
A plus if you are flying a TMG or an UL: it includes glider airfields too.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 20 Jan 14:42
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Peter wrote:

Do the IFR airports also publish the VACs (visual approach charts, etc i.e. the VFR stuff)?
In Europe, most (all?) IFR plates are published (in the AIP, and on EAD) but not all VFR ones.

Depends e.g. Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia yes, Denmark on some, Germany no. I would say majority yes (from the countries I flew to).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Do the IFR airports also publish the VACs (visual approach charts, etc i.e. the VFR stuff)?

Depends. E.g.. France: yes. Germany: No.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not all airports have specific VFR charts. If that’s the case, you are supposed to use (or can use) the visual IFR charts. There are no requirements to have a specific VFR chart AFAIK.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In Europe, most (all?) IFR plates are published (in the AIP, and on EAD) but not all VFR ones.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

The larger airports have their AIP entries published free in the AIP on the EuroControl website, but just their IFR charts. However these are just the handful of very large airports. All the airports that you are likely to visit only have their data (And VFR charts for the larger airports) available via the purchased data from DFS.
It isn’t about the size of the airport — it’s about IFR or not. Every German airport with an instrument approach is on EAD, no matter how small.
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Every German airport with an IAP has its data published for free (thence in SD). I try to only use those airports.
You can target small controlled IFR fields (like EDMA) or some uncontrolled ones (like EDTD). Look for airports with a CTR or TMZ in the map, it will help you find them.

LFOU, France
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message