Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A rapid demise of a TBM in icing conditions

Lorsqu’il est sorti du brouillard, il a explosé en touchant le sol, dans un champ à l’écart des habitations, projetant des débris sur environ 300 mètres

My bold

If that’s correct, he must have gone in at high speed.

Last Edited by 172driver at 19 Nov 22:07

Google translate:

According to several witnesses, quoted by the official, the aircraft flying in the mist emitted noise “of a device in difficulty” with “unusual hissing noise and a motor that is wrong,” said he said .

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Maybe I’m crazy, but it doesn’t look THAT bad, for a TBM that is. Given where it happened this was most likely in the cruise, and there was not icing forecast at where they would have been. There must be (as always?) another contributing factor.
Tragic and chilling outcome.

EGTF, LFTF

Nasty wx there – 1200Z

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Nov 16:21
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just read that a TBM700 has crashed in Mouffy France on its way to Paris – Dailymail link :-(

According to the report it seems to have happened enroute. The SWC valid 18Z has moderate icing up to FL180 in the area, unfortunately I don’t have access to an earlier SWC at the moment.

Considering the previous discussions this thread came to mind.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 19 Nov 15:57

Nobody ever said that.

I have no idea why I would want to fly in that kind of weather. After all here it’s me who pays for the flying :-)

You don’t have to. But remember it isn’t because the plane will fall out of the sky the moment it hits ice with the autopilot on.

EGTK Oxford

I have no idea why I would want to fly in that kind of weather. After all here it’s me who pays for the flying :-)
Mine has TKS too, worked fine on the only flight through very light icing i did.

I fly in the winter aswell. VFR, on nice days. Or IFR on days without ice.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 13 Nov 19:43

I fly all winter. Last year, I remember leaving the house and seeing the snow blowing through the streets horizontally and the car slipping its way to the airport. Such conditions do not mean that flying is not possible. I have encountered severe ice once and with adequate and a quick reaction, it is ok to get out. For the rest of the times (which is indeed about all flights in winter) the ice buildup is there, but easy to handle while climbing out.

EDLE, Netherlands
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message