Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A couple of new or improved features...

Apologies. I somehow missed these posts about the quoting feature and didn’t realise it was causing grief. I’ll look at fixing it to work In IE, or turning it off for IE or failing that, allowing a user to turn it off.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Indeed, I’ve the same problem with IE11 and Windows 8.1.

I really find this totally frustrating.

Is there any chance to have an option to turn this off? I find myself too often not replying to a post, because quoting from it has become too much of a pain. The only way that I can reliably quote (on Windows 8.1 IE 11) is to log out, then copy the text, then log back in and then manually quote.

It’s a nice idea, but just doesn’t work on any version of IE.

It also quotes a major problem if I want to check out something that someone has posted about. I can’t copy a big of their text and pop it into Google, because any selection I make covers the entire page forward from the start of my selection .

An opt out would be really useful (or fix it).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Similar problem on IE11.

If I try to quote a sentence from a post it selects everything from the start of my selection to the end of the page, including the posting box etc. However, when I click the Quote button it seems to quote the originally highlighted bit, not all the highlighted selection..

dublinpilot wrote:

In both cases, if I select a small piece of text to quote, once I let go of the mouse button after highlighting, the quote button appears, but the text selected becomes unselected, and all text starting immediately after the selected text, now becomes selected. (including every subsequent post, buttons, headings etc.).

See above, the result for example purposes is OK, so it’s really just a presentational issue

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Hi David,

Has there been any progress on being able to turn off the select and quote function?

While it’s a wonderful idea, I find it totally fustrating with IE.

With my work PC, (IE9 which is unsupported, but the latest version available for Vista) and with my home PC (Latest IE on Win 8.1…think it’s IE11) quoting now is impossible.

In both cases, if I select a small piece of text to quote, once I let go of the mouse button after highlighting, the quote button appears, but the text selected becomes unselected, and all text starting immediately after the selected text, now becomes selected. (including every subsequent post, buttons, headings etc.).

As soon as I use the scroll, that all disappears, and no text is selected (sometimes the quote button stays there). So it’s impossible on both machines to use the fancy function, and it’s become impossible to manually copy and paste (as could be done previously).

As it is, the only way that I can quote someone on either machine is to manually retype what they said, into a quote section. Obviously I find myself doing that less and less as it’s a fustrating experience. Being able to turn off that function would be great.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

David wrote:

Sorry “Airborne Again”, you’ll henceforth be “Airborne_Again”!

I’ll survive, I guess. :-)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I hadn’t noticed that the location of the button was linked to the mouse-button release point. Good tip – thank you.

If the quote button was optional that would solve most of the usability issues – especially for tablet (I haven’t tested this) / laptop / trackpad users who might not be using a mouse.

EGTT, The London FIR

Finners, thanks. Two thoughts. I think ultimately this is best handled by making it optional, so users who find it interferes can switch it off. Secondly, if you do want to keep using it, there are a couple of workarounds, neither very elegant but both quote effective. The button appears where the mouse button is released – so if you’re careful you may be able to do your selection and let go of the mouse in a place where the button’s appearance doesn’t cause a problem. Also, if you scroll a little after making your selection and releasing the mouse button the popup button will disappear anyway, thus leaving your text ready for a right click context menu. Hope that helps!

Administrator

Hi David.
If the quote button can be moved so that it is either above the upper-most quoted line or below the bottom most quoted line then that could work. I can think of reasons to put it in either a top or bottom location.

For my original request, I want it out of the way of the browser-click menu, but that could appear anywhere depending on whether the highlighted text is at the top, middle or bottom of the screen. Awkward. For anyone quoting a large block of text, a bottom location would probably be preferable, as they are likely to select text from left-to-right and top-to-bottom.

I’m glad I’m not designing user interfaces!

EGTT, The London FIR

@Finners, hmmmm. Good point! That’s why we’re testing this stuff out amongst the EuroGA audience.

I’ve just tried that – for me it was still possible to right click once I’d highlighted and then click for the definition. If we moved the quote button slightly higher so it didn’t obscure part of the text you’d highlighted would that make it easier?

Administrator

Can I be the voice of dissent?
I often highlight text in order to look it up in a dictionary from a browser menu – the quote button gets in the way of that.
If it’s just me, and the quote button is enabled by a script, I can disable the script (please let me know which one @David).

EGTT, The London FIR
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message